frogs in paludarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

@HOME

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been thinking of setting up a small paludarium. Probably a 33 gal, getting the tank for free so I won't know for sure untill I get it. I was thinking of doing something kinda fancy and am more focused on the appearance of the tank and not the number of creatures inside. The only thing is I promised my wife guppies in the next tank and so I must keep that promise. I was wondering if anyone knew if firebelly toads or F.B. newts would be ok in the same tank as guppies. If not, any suggestions would be welcome.

Ah... no. :wink: The answer is a definitive "no" from me. Toads are fed feeder guppies (often their principle source of food when they're pets), and I imagine the newts would consume similarly.

FB toads get quite large, so I'd highly recommend fish around the size of Tiger Barbs and small rainbowfish. 2 inches minimum, 5 inches max (IMO, a 33 gallon dictates this).

If you're willing to spend a bit more money, and do a lot of research into the ethical treatment of certain animals, you can consider the mantella frogs from Madagascar as occupants for your tank, or even simple NA treefrogs. These guys would stay out of the water, but are beauts for a paludarium. I considered them strongly for a while...

Back
Top Bottom