Frustrated.. thinking I'm not cut out for fishkeeping. Need advice please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
severum mama said:
I'd use it for entertainment purposes... but I wouldn't put a lot of faith in what it says.

It gives you an starting point.

If you're looking for a good reliable lfs, visit the regional forum section on this site and see if there is a store near you that other members recommend. That's how I found my favorite lfs.

+1...... I just remember laughing my butt off when I entered my stock on that site, pretty worthless. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I am feeling a little more positive. I'm going to go ahead and use this opportunity to give everything a good cleaning, but leave the filter media alone. If there was any bad stuff hanging out in there, it will be gone and I can start "fresh" so to speak.

I've looked up a few fish stores in the area I can try out also. In the meantime I just have to decide what I'm going to do as far as stock. A single Beta is one possibility, or a few guppies. When I had guppies in the tank before, they were pretty active and fun to watch. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I am feeling a little more positive. I'm going to go ahead and use this opportunity to give everything a good cleaning, but leave the filter media alone. If there was any bad stuff hanging out in there, it will be gone and I can start "fresh" so to speak.

I've looked up a few fish stores in the area I can try out also. In the meantime I just have to decide what I'm going to do as far as stock. A single Beta is one possibility, or a few guppies. When I had guppies in the tank before, they were pretty active and fun to watch. Decisions, decisions.

You're not replacing your filter pads / media, are you? ;)

Being new to the hobby a year ago, I had random die-offs and it was really frustrating.

Over time I think techniques are developed and things are stabilized. It's just a knack that's developed. The learning curve is actually pretty steep due to the dedication and consistency required.

I have thought about giving up but I have too much money invested to do that. :p

Hopefully, when we get settled into a house and I can upgrade I'll have less issues. If nothing else, when I have die-offs it won't be as devastating to the overall stock. I don't want anything really huge, I honestly really enjoy the 10-gallon. But, I'd like to have a wider variety of stock options. So, I'm thinking somewhere around a 30-gallon would be good for my needs. I don't want any really big fish.. the thought of disposing of them when they die totally creeps me out, lol.

I've got a dead one in my freezer right now, waiting to go back to the store because it died after two days. That's what creeps my husband out, dead fish in the freezer! I'm not sure how it's different than the fish we eat, they're in there too!!!

I've got a dead one in my freezer right now, waiting to go back to the store because it died after two days. That's what creeps my husband out, dead fish in the freezer! I'm not sure how it's different than the fish we eat, they're in there too!!!

That's funny! What's weird about me is I can't eat fish. It's all mental - I don't think it tastes bad, but I start to gag because it freaks me out. I'm terribly creeped out by all manner of sea creatures (especially octopi!), so it's kind of strange that I enjoy having an aquarium. I only like the "cute" varieties though. :lol:

cubsfan85 said:
That's funny! What's weird about me is I can't eat fish. It's all mental - I don't think it tastes bad, but I start to gag because it freaks me out. I'm terribly creeped out by all manner of sea creatures (especially octopi!), so it's kind of strange that I enjoy having an aquarium. I only like the "cute" varieties though. :lol:

I don't know if this is a possible cause but occasionally I've come across fish keepers having die offs either massive or minor scale from making the mistake of cleaning their tank with a sponge that is intended for kitchen use, even unused fresh from the package they can be killers, the bartender at a local bar told me he did this several times in his $1000 corner tank set up before he noticed the tiny print on the sponges package that read " not intended for use in aquariums" and recently I picked up an entire 20 gal high set up off cl for dirt cheap because the kid lost interest after to many die offs, and when I was going throgh the boxes of accessories there was the kitchen sponge in a ziploc bag. moral of the story be very aware of what you put in your tank it might seem harmless but if it's not intended for aquariums best to leave it out IMO, just a thought though, sorry about the rambling

Please don't give up! I went through a few months of die offs with my first 10g. Started off with Neon Tetras from Wally World...biggest mistake ever. I ended up getting ich and they all died. Then, take 2, went to the local pet shop. Got some Zebra Danios (which I found out need at least a 20g long) and they died mysteriously. FINALLY, I found a reputable LFS, and I haven't had a single problem since then. Had a dozen fish die in 2 months or less, since then I have had 1 die in 8 months.

I started with a ten gallon. I had lots of problems. I upgraded to a 55 gallon. The larger the water column the more stable the tank will be.

Came in to post this. when you first get into the hobby you think "I'll get a small one, it will be easy to take care of. I'm not skilled enough for a huge advanced tank!"....and then you find out its the exact opposite.

Stick with it though! Your going through the same thing most of us did when we got into the hobby. Enjoy learning from your mistakes, knowing you wont make them again. And also enjoy learning enough to speak with the person at the LFS and correcting them.:cool:

Small tanks are always harder to maintain than large tanks. And even if you have a perfectly cycled tank with perfect water parameters, you can still have fish die from stress alone. The change if environment, water chemestry differences, etc etc. The fish came in from God knows where to a local fish store, were dumped onto overcrowded tanks, then again moved to your home. Sometimes they just die.... You gotta try to get a good mix of compatible fish, and try to make the environment with as little stress as possible.

Do you dechloronate your water? Maybe there is something in your water supply. Do you have well water? Maybe something toxic is leaching in. I would suggest going on craigslist and finding a minimum of a 30 gallon tank you will not regret it.

Lots of good advice in here. Im a new member here, But here is something that I haven't heard said yet.
You're doing too much to your tank. whether it is feeding, cleaning, or adding fish. You are changing your water chemistry too often. The key about fish keeping is that you want nature to take it's course in your living room. That can't happen if you are doing interventions everyday.

With a ten gallon. you've gotta add fish super slow. And I would stay away from the live bearers. Commercialy it's hard to find a nice hardy speciman due to farming and inbreeding. with a tank so small you only want to stock fish that are all from one region. that way none of your mixed temp or water parameters are compounded by it's size. What I mean by this is Stock only fish from the amazon or certain rivers etc.

Most importantly, remember that fish need ecosystems in order to "be happy" you must "assist" the fish in creating that balance.

aquaponicpaw said:
Lots of good advice in here. Im a new member here, But here is something that I haven't heard said yet.
You're doing too much to your tank. whether it is feeding, cleaning, or adding fish. You are changing your water chemistry too often. The key about fish keeping is that you want nature to take it's course in your living room. That can't happen if you are doing interventions everyday.

With a ten gallon. you've gotta add fish super slow. And I would stay away from the live bearers. Commercialy it's hard to find a nice hardy speciman due to farming and inbreeding. with a tank so small you only want to stock fish that are all from one region. that way none of your mixed temp or water parameters are compounded by it's size. What I mean by this is Stock only fish from the amazon or certain rivers etc.

Most importantly, remember that fish need ecosystems in order to "be happy" you must "assist" the fish in creating that balance.

The thing I disagree with here is that water changes are absolutely necessary to removed dissolved compounds and toxins and to remove nitrate buildup and replace essential minerals and trace nutrients. Neglecting to do water changed can be equally detrimental.

Back
Top Bottom