Frustrated.. thinking I'm not cut out for fishkeeping. Need advice please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I certainly wouldn't presume to educate anyone in fishkeeping, and I'm not sure how that could have possibly been read from my posts.

I simply did not understand what you were talking about or getting at.

I certainly wouldn't presume to educate anyone in fishkeeping, and I'm not sure how that could have possibly been read from my posts.

I simply did not understand what you were talking about or getting at.
My apoligies that wasn't directed at you, It was meant for Ashley:facepalm:

cubsfan85 said:
Check, check, check and check. :)

Just trying to figure out what the other poster was getting at..

It seems in the threads I start there is one new poster who has very.. interesting ideas.. that are the opposite of all the information I have gleaned from this site!

Aside from the moderators nobody regulates the advice given. You have to take solid research and insight from the opinions expressed here and decide what you think is the best. Most of the advice I offer is from research and personal fish keeping since I was a kid. I learned about the nitrogen cycle about 10 years ago when I really got onto serious fishkeeping. In the last 10 years I've kept various freshwater setups and even had my 55 gallon running saltwater for about 6 months at one point.

I advocate everything you have done. Cycling your tank and frequent water changes. Not sure what advice I gave that you consider wrong or contrary, I agree with all of the advice given by the moderators here, although I may occasionally disagree with other members.

Aside from the moderators nobody regulates the advice given. You have to take solid research and insight from the opinions expressed here and decide what you think is the best. Most of the advice I offer is from research and personal fish keeping since I was a kid. I learned about the nitrogen cycle about 10 years ago when I really got onto serious fishkeeping. In the last 10 years I've kept various freshwater setups and even had my 55 gallon running saltwater for about 6 months at one point.

Oh, I know. I started out knowing nothing, but for the most part there is definitely a consensus among the vast majority of posters about how to do things. I go with the majority, because I have no personal experience to offer! It was just kind of funny to me that it seemed to happen in my last two big threads asking for advice.

ETA: No no, I didn't mean YOU. I just wanted you to know that I was doing those things you said I should be and wasn't going to go off and listen to the advice of one lone poster that said to do things vastly different. :)

I'm interested to know what You think a water change schedule should consist of? And what exactly is the role of these other 'phytoplankton like' bacteria in the home aquarium? How exactly do many people keep healthy fish in tanks that get major water changes weekly and others who neglect to do them suffer from sick fish and 'old tank syndrome'?

well mostly it can be due to keeping imbalanced taks. I agree water changes are a vital part of fishkeeping. But in general the goal of fishkeeping is to duplicate nature within the confines of an aquarium. If a situation is created where there is no toxic buildup up of anything. and all waste is being recycled... Then what would be the need for water changes? The best thing we can remember if we love this is That There is no waste in nature. A healthy habitat will renew itself indefinitely unless acted upon. When we have to put so much work into maintaining an aquarium we are either
A. stretching the parameters of the fish we are keeping. Or not investing the time or resources to try to duplicate their environment. Not a bad thing if you're going the extra mile and doing water changes :lol:. Just saying, In the wild fish keep themselves.

cubsfan85 said:
ETA: No no, I didn't mean YOU. I just wanted you to know that I was doing those things you said I should be and wasn't going to go off and listen to the advice of one lone poster that said to do things vastly different. :)

Oh ok... Lol, I know sometimes I can express my opinion quit bluntly, I blame it on being a Virgo...

You seem like you really are doing things the right way, and I really hope you can find something you really like for your tank.

Have you considered having a single betta and maybe some nano bottom feeders?

aquaponicpaw said:
well mostly it can be due to keeping imbalanced taks. I agree water changes are a vital part of fishkeeping. But in general the goal of fishkeeping is to duplicate nature within the confines of an aquarium. If a situation is created where there is no toxic buildup up of anything. and all waste is being recycled... Then what would be the need for water changes? The best thing we can remember if we love this is That There is no waste in nature. A healthy habitat will renew itself indefinitely unless acted upon. When we have to put so much work into maintaining an aquarium we are either
A. stretching the parameters of the fish we are keeping. Or not investing the time or resources to try to duplicate their environment. Not a bad thing if you're going the extra mile and doing water changes :lol:. Just saying, In the wild fish keep themselves.

In the wild fish don't live in a glass box. Lol. We can never truly duplicate nature in an aquarium. Their have been may debates on this forum if you do a quick search you'll find them. The latest was called balanced tank/aquarium I think. Good read/laugh.

In the wild fish don't live in a glass box. Lol. We can never truly duplicate nature in an aquarium. Their have been may debates on this forum if you do a quick search you'll find them. The latest was called balanced tank/aquarium I think. Good read/laugh.

Won't even bother to look it up. I've just told you of an instance of where I've done it. I have a tank that has red cherry shrimp, malaysian snails, white cloud mountain minnows, and freshwater golden clams. I have no filter on this tank. just a powerhead at the the top edge of the water so that it aerates the tank.

at any given moment you can find fry from any of these inhabitants. There are floating pond plants as well as a bunch of anubias houseplant clippings that have kind of taken over the tank. there is a healthy growth of algae throughout.

I have not done anything to this tank since May of 2011. It is systems like these that are being setup and studied throughout the world as a form of Aquaponics. That surprises me coming from you. Australia right? They are on the cutting edge of this technology. live and learn.

aquaponicpaw said:
Won't even bother to look it up. I've just told you of an instance of where I've done it. A have a tank that has red cherry shrimp malaysian snails white cloud mountain minnows, and freshwater golden clams. I have no filter on this tank. just a powerhead at the the top edge of the water so that it aerates the tank.

at any given moment you can find fry from any of these inhabitants. There arefloating pnd plants as well as a bunch of anubias houseplant clippings that have kind of taken over the tank. there is a healthy growth over algae throughout.

I have not done anything to this tank since May of 2011.

Fair enough, thought you might be interested. It's got views from both sides.

. It is systems like these that are being setup and studied throughout the world as a form of Aquaponics. That surprises me coming from you. Australia right? They are on the cutting edge of this technology. live and learn.

aquaponicpaw said:
. It is systems like these that are being setup and studied throughout the world as a form of Aquaponics. That surprises me coming from you. Australia right? They are on the cutting edge of this technology. live and learn.

I'm not sure if that is suppose to offend me??? I've done my fair share of research and have chosen the 'tinkering method' of fish keeping. It is my belief through research and experience that large frequent water changes are good for a tank. Any who, been through all of this before. Each to their own.

I'm not sure if that is suppose to offend me??? I've done my fair share of research and have chosen the 'tinkering method' of fish keeping. It is my belief through research and experience that large frequent water changes are good for a tank. Any who, been through all of this before. Each to their own.
NO offense intended! Im actually enamored with the fact. and like I said before.whatever works, you obviouly care about yours because you do routine maintenance.

Won't even bother to look it up. I've just told you of an instance of where I've done it. "......"

I have not done anything to this tank since May of 2011. It is systems like these that are being setup and studied throughout the world as a form of Aquaponics. That surprises me coming from you. Australia right? They are on the cutting edge of this technology. live and learn.

The bottom line is, you can come onto a forum and start suggesting that a new hobbyist does something like this... and although that technique is being researched throughout the world does not mean it is perfected yet or that it is the best way to run a tank.

aquaponicpaw said:
NO offense intended! Im actually enamored with the fact. and like I said before.whatever works, you obviouly care about yours because you do routine maintenance.

Very much so. You'd call it an obsession :D

To the op. sorry for hijacking!

The bottom line is, you can come onto a forum and start suggesting that a new hobbyist does something like this... and although that technique is being researched throughout the world does not mean it is perfected yet or that it is the best way to run a tank.

No where in my comments have I suggested this to the T/S. And what I do personally was mentioned to Ashley (A seasoned aquarists) because we were talking about what works for individuals. The only advice I have given was to be patient and observe.:thanks:

If the goal of fishkeeping was to replicate nature, then we wouldn't be keeping fish in glass boxes, nor would clown puke gravel and glow in the dark plastic plants exist. Just sayin'. ;)

severum mama said:
If the goal of fishkeeping was to replicate nature, then we wouldn't be keeping fish in glass boxes, nor would clown puke gravel and glow in the dark plastic plants exist. Just sayin'. ;)

Lol! Gotta love clown puke gravel!

I agree with that. And Im sure you would agree that some fish will thrive better in that type of environment than others.:D

It was just kind of funny to me that it seemed to happen in my last two big threads asking for advice.

:popcorn:

It happened to me too! If you don't want it to happen again NEVER BRING UP UNDERGRAVEL FILTERS!!!!:lol:

I think it's just that we have a lot of people here who are really passionate about fishkeeping and they all have their own methods that work for them. Try not to think of it as conflict, try to think of it as a lively debate!!!

Ok, so we're one week out now. Everything has been cleaned well (sans filter media and biowheel). I've only ever cleaned the plants and decor in tank water, and I could never get them very clean. One blast with hot water from the sink and they're brand new!

Now, the tank is just hanging out waiting for its new inhabitants. So - I'm thinking stock. I had been considering the lone beta, but I really don't think I'd be happy with only one fish. I did it for a while unintentionally when the DM was the only fish left, and I didn't hate it, but I'd rather have more.

I'm definitely thinking guppies, because they're active and fun to watch. But, what can I put with them? Before, I was doing a larger fish as my centerpiece, but I'm thinking now perhaps the gups will be my CP so to speak. I know many schooling fish need more room than a 10g, but I've been researching here and elsewhere, and many people recommend Neon Tetra.

Thoughts? And if those two species are a good choice, how many of each and how should I add them?

ETA: I'm not planning to add anything for another week, I just want to have a game plan.

Back
Top Bottom