Frustrated.. thinking I'm not cut out for fishkeeping. Need advice please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it's time for a new store!!! At this point I'd even try Wal-Mart!

I think you're right. I just assumed it was something I was doing and not the store..

I don't shop at Wal-Mart at all, much less for live animals. :lol: I've researched some LFS in St. Louis that I am going to try out. There are none on this side of the river. :( Well, actually, there is one right here in town but it's Saltwater only, boo. The extra drive will be worth it if the fish are healthier though.

That sounds like a good idea. It really and truly does sound like you're doing everything right. I know it's depressing to lose all those fish, but try not to beat yourself up too much about it:)

[QUOTE

Not sure what you mean either. The only chemical I add is Prime, to dechlorinate. I don't mess with the water chemistry otherwise except to do PWC's.
[/QUOTE]

What I mean is: every action of yours on behalf of your tank alters your water chemistry, Including feedings. That's why the hobby is beginning to recognize that tanks of smaller sizes are pretty much only good for nano tanks. "Put a bunch of plants in, a few small fish, and inverts, And leave it alone".

I don't quite get it when people speak of doing so many daily chores to an Aquarium. It's supposed to be the perfect alternative to cats and dogs. But many of us, create situations where it requires just as much work and upkeep.

I admire your ability to give it another shot, And Im sure that you will eventually see success. Patience is your greatest tool. Understanding that nitrogen cycle is your greatest asset. keep us posted.

aquaponicpaw said:
[QUOTE

Not sure what you mean either. The only chemical I add is Prime, to dechlorinate. I don't mess with the water chemistry otherwise except to do PWC's.

What I mean is: every action of yours on behalf of your tank alters your water chemistry, Including feedings. That's why the hobby is beginning to recognize that tanks of smaller sizes are pretty much only good for nano tanks. "Put a bunch of plants in, a few small fish, and inverts, And leave it alone".

I don't quite get it when people speak of doing so many daily chores to an Aquarium. It's supposed to be the perfect alternative to cats and dogs. But many of us, create situations where it requires just as much work and upkeep.

I admire your ability to give it another shot, And Im sure that you will eventually see success. Patience is your greatest tool. Understanding that nitrogen cycle is your greatest asset. keep us posted.[/QUOTE]

I've never thought of fish keeping as an alternative to cats or dogs.

Fish keeping is a technical hobby and a lot of maintenance will be required compared to most other pets...

I've never thought of it as an alternative either, I keep a little of everything.But a simple google search can provide info that it is thought of as such. After all it is touted as being soothing and a stress reliever.

And I agree fish keeping can be very technical. But in the case here we are talking about someone fairly new to the hobby. trying to keep a community tank.

Ok then... but I'm not seeing how this applies to my situation. You say I should just "leave it alone". The only thing I'm doing is PWC's about once a week. Are you suggesting that "chore" isn't necessary?

I don't see that as "messing with" the tank. Just routine maintenance.

The way you word things makes it sound like I should throw some fish in, and let them fend for themselves. :blink:

cubsfan85 said:
Ok then... but I'm not seeing how this applies to my situation. You say I should just "leave it alone". The only thing I'm doing is PWC's about once a week. Are you suggesting that "chore" isn't necessary?

The way you word things makes it sound like I should throw some fish in, and let them fend for themselves. :blink:

PWC are the life line for your tank. An absolute necessity. They remove the harmful buildup of waste and replace it with fresh clean water that contains vital minerals used by fish and plants. It's not overly complicated. All you need to do with a fish only beginners setup is a good water change routine to introduce fresh water, clean the gravel, clean the filter (in tank water) and to feed your fish. Keep you water parameters in check and your fish fed and you good. Nothing complicated about it once you have the basics down pat.

PWC are the life line for your tank. An absolute necessity. They remove the harmful buildup of waste and replace it with fresh clean water that contains vital minerals used by fish and plants. It's not overly complicated. All you need to do with a fish only beginners setup is a good water change routine to introduce fresh water, clean the gravel, clean the filter (in tank water) and to feed your fish. Keep you water parameters in check and your fish fed and you good. Nothing complicated about it once you have the basics down pat.

Check, check, check and check. :)

Just trying to figure out what the other poster was getting at..

It seems in the threads I start there is one new poster who has very.. interesting ideas.. that are the opposite of all the information I have gleaned from this site!

cubsfan85 said:
Check, check, check and check. :)

Just trying to figure out what the other poster was getting at..

It seems in the threads I start there is one new poster who has very.. interesting ideas.. that are the opposite of all the information I have gleaned from this site!

Some have different views, experiences and knowledge to others. Thats what makes a great forum. What I usually do is take the most mentioned 'fact' then do my own research. I can then make up my own mind as to what is the correct way to do things.

the smaller the tank, the easier it is to have ammonia spikes. by going super slow and extending the time between your water changes it allows your tank the time to mature. It sounds to me like the tank is on a hamster wheel. and its never being allowed to develop a decent bacterial colony.

new water introduced to the tank, is just that. new water. the main benefit being that it is clean. there is no type of nutritonal or supplemental value to clean water. the value comes from aged dechlorinated bacteria laden water.

aquaponicpaw said:
new water introduced to the tank, is just that. new water. the main benefit being that it is clean. there is no type of nutritonal or supplemental value to clean water. the value comes from aged dechlorinated bacteria laden water.

The percentage of bacteria in the water is minuscule. The majority of them live in the filter. Introducing new what to a tank will do nothing to compromise the cycle.

The percentage of bacteria in the water is minuscule. The majority of them live in the filter. Introducing new what to a tank will do nothing to compromise the cycle.
may be true for denitrifying bacteria. But this is not the case for other forms of bacteria. a healthy aquarium is filled with waterborne "phytoplankton like" bacteria that contributes greatly to the health of a fish. It's a very integral part of the food chain. especially in freshwater aquaria. Thats why we have water treatment facilities, to strip the water of all of these organisms.

aquaponicpaw said:
may be true for denitrifying bacteria. But this is not the case for other forms of bacteria. a healthy aquarium is filled with waterborne "phytoplankton like" bacteria that contributes greatly to the health of a fish. It's a very integral part of the food chain. especially in freshwater aquaria. Thats why we have water treatment facilities, to strip the water of all of these organisms.

I'm interested to know what You think a water change schedule should consist of? And what exactly is the role of these other 'phytoplankton like' bacteria in the home aquarium? How exactly do many people keep healthy fish in tanks that get major water changes weekly and others who neglect to do them suffer from sick fish and 'old tank syndrome'?

the smaller the tank, the easier it is to have ammonia spikes. by going super slow and extending the time between your water changes it allows your tank the time to mature. It sounds to me like the tank is on a hamster wheel. and its never being allowed to develop a decent bacterial colony.

I've never had an ammonia reading since completing cycling, so apparently there is a sufficient bacteria colony.

like I said there is a differece between waterborne bacteria. and denitrifying bacteria. The best advice that one fish keeper can give another is to be patient and observe. "Not do what I do."
what works for one person may not work for another. There are too many variables to advise properly.
every last one of my posts have been to get the T/S to just slow down and become more familiar with his/her setup.

that way "they" can make necessary adjustments acording to observations. It appears that the majority of your posts have been geared towards trying to educate me, when I'm not the one that started this thread.

never suggested that what you are doing doesn't work for you. I could tell you that I have several tanks running without filters and nothing but powerheads and aerators going. But because it's worked for me for years doesn't mean It would work for others. I pull it off because I understand the water of my locale, my tank sizes,and the fish I keep. Thats come through observation. and patience.

the only time I've added water from an outside source to any of the tanks is just to top them off. In nature a healthy habitat will renew itself indefinitely. and I am very close to achieving that within my tanks. I have a couple that I don't even have to feed.

Back
Top Bottom