German Blue Rams Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottyhorse

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just noticed a bunch of German Ram eggs on my driftwood. I would like to move them to another tank so they don't get eaten, but first I would like to know if they are fertile or not.

Edit- The pictures aren't loading, so if someone could link me to a picture of fertile German Ram eggs that would be lovely. Then I could just let you know if they are fertile or not.

I would be putting them in a little critter keeping with anti fungus and a sponge filter until the hatch, or I could move them into my 5.5G shrimp tank, but the temp is only 76* and I couldn't put ani fungus in there.

I just noticed a bunch of German Ram eggs on my driftwood. I would like to move them to another tank so they don't get eaten, but first I would like to know if they are fertile or not.

Edit- The pictures aren't loading, so if someone could link me to a picture of fertile German Ram eggs that would be lovely. Then I could just let you know if they are fertile or not.

I would be putting them in a little critter keeping with anti fungus and a sponge filter until the hatch, or I could move them into my 5.5G shrimp tank, but the temp is only 76* and I couldn't put ani fungus in there.

Fertilized eggs will look like a semi clear yellowish color, unfertilized eggs will turn white about 24-48hrs after being laid. I don't know how the anti fungus stuff would effect the babies and without it you need good circulation on the eggs, so between the two choices I would leave the eggs in the big tank at least until they've hatched but if it were me I would just see how good of parents your rams are, they are pretty good parents sometimes takes a spawn or two for them to figure it out though

They are kind of white, but not completely? I guess they are semi clear like you said. Do you think I could move them onto a piece of slate then put a net over it, and keep them in the main tank? I'd like to get a couple fry out of this :)

So, I just went and did a test for the male who seems to be guarding the eggs. I put my hand in there to see if he would do anything, (he is normally SUPER friendly and looves attention) and he was attacking my hand!! LOL
The mom is also cleaning up any debris that float by. Hopefully this is a successful spawn. What I am most proud about it that they formed a pair! I found a few German Rams at Petsmart, and they seemed healthy, so I decided I would wing it and buy two. I just asked for one who had blue spots on the black patch, and one with no blue spots on the black patch. I lucked out and got correctly sexed rams who also formed a pair! This morning before I left, I saw them chasing each other around the tank a lot and a little for the past few days. I am so proud of them!!
Now that I know I have a mated pair, I am super tempted to get a 15G tank for them so they can breed in peace. I think I would enjoy them a lot more, also...

Well, they are still here this morning. A couple have turned white, but I will let the parents take care of that. I bumped the heater up to 81*, I'll see if I can get it to go any higher.

Well, they are still here this morning. A couple have turned white, but I will let the parents take care of that. I bumped the heater up to 81*, I'll see if I can get it to go any higher.

If the parents are guarding the eggs, there's a reason. So as long as they're guarding the eggs are fine. And I would suggest just letting the rams guard the babies themselves!

I don't have enough supplies to hatch my own :ermm:
Would they be able to eat Hikari First Bites or frozen brine shrimp?
I was just thinking of getting this because it's small enough for them to eat according to the description.

I don't have enough supplies to hatch my own :ermm:
Would they be able to eat Hikari First Bites or frozen brine shrimp?
I was just thinking of getting this because it's small enough for them to eat according to the description.

Brine shrimp is too big for the first week. Hikari first bites is the only thing I know for the first week

Okay, I'll make sure to order some of that. I'll also get some java moss; I read that's good for them too.

So, I just went and did a test for the male who seems to be guarding the eggs. I put my hand in there to see if he would do anything, (he is normally SUPER friendly and looves attention) and he was attacking my hand!! LOL
The mom is also cleaning up any debris that float by. Hopefully this is a successful spawn. What I am most proud about it that they formed a pair! I found a few German Rams at Petsmart, and they seemed healthy, so I decided I would wing it and buy two. I just asked for one who had blue spots on the black patch, and one with no blue spots on the black patch. I lucked out and got correctly sexed rams who also formed a pair! This morning before I left, I saw them chasing each other around the tank a lot and a little for the past few days. I am so proud of them!!
Now that I know I have a mated pair, I am super tempted to get a 15G tank for them so they can breed in peace. I think I would enjoy them a lot more, also...

I have read a ton of articles that say you should at a minimum supply rams with a 20g tank at minimum for breeding or else they just won't breed. Can't remember as to why that is but you may wanna look into that before you just go out and buy a tank.

Hi, I've been reading lots about it and I've read it is safest to do it with a mated pair.
There's a better chance of minimal agression that way.

Hi, I've been reading lots about it and I've read it is safest to do it with a mated pair.
There's a better chance of minimal agression that way.

U can find 20s for cheap. 15 are a taller tank (unless you find a 15 gallon long. That's he fine too) so they don't give as much space

It is: 24 x 12 x 12

I'm also ordering Hikari First Bites from Dr. Foster & Smith along with another filter thing right now.

Back
Top Bottom