Getting a free 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jlk said:
Looks good!!! You just need to fill it with some more plants! They look happy & i am sure they will enjoy their new home! :)

thank you!

I agree, I still haven't transferred all the plants over. Just taking a break before I vacuum the old substrate and transfer those over. I'm going for 1/4 of it to be gravel an 3/4 pool filter sand. Gives its a nice natural contrast. But don't worry, more pics to come before the day is over.

I love this part of the hobby!

Everything has now been transferred! In addition Yogi, the Hi Fin, has gotten his colors back. Now I just want the water to clear.

Also, both the light fixtures he gave me with this tank are not working. I'm hoping it's just the bulbs, but for now I'm using the light from my 29.

Attachments

• image-3567459040.jpg
    image-3567459040.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 123
Just keep an eye on everything & do your water chamges as needed to keep things under control! It may take a bit for this to stabilize. :)

Thank you so much!

Everyone is getting along and finding their new resting spots. Ferdi the orange telescope, which I believe is the only female out of the three, keeps harassing and chasing around the other two. I'm guessing all the new water and environment changes must have turned on her mating switch. However, slightly premature, Ollie and Adendir are still too young to get groovy.

I have a feeling I'll be upgrading to the Marineland double brights when I get some more $$.

ugh. doin a water change at 1230am. Amm up to .25

And oddly enough one of the lights lost its wattage. It suddenly went dim, Im guessing the ballast.

So now my gf wants to add another telescope which will make it 4 goldfish in all.

This wasn't my original intention, but I told her I would ask the experts..

Would this be ok or would this lead to my new 55 being overstocked?

current stock is as follows:

2 telescope
1 black Moor
2 golden dojos
2 BNC
1 upside down cat
1 hi fin shark

So now my gf wants to add another telescope which will make it 4 goldfish in all.

This wasn't my original intention, but I told her I would ask the experts..

Would this be ok or would this lead to my new 55 being overstocked?

current stock is as follows:

2 telescope
1 black Moor
2 golden dojos
2 BNC
1 upside down cat
1 hi fin shark

If you only had the 3 goldies, another would be ok. But with the 6 other fish, its really not a wise idea.

Thank you for backing me up!

It is tempting but these guys are happy as is.

Out of curiousity, what temperature do you keep your goldfish at? I have never had a heater in my tank. Sounds crazy, but it sits about 3 feet away from my wall heater which keeps the tank at 76.

Forgot to include:

That was with my 29g. Now that I have the 55 I want to add a heater.

Do you have a thermometer? Check the temp & see where it is. Goldies really dont need a heater unless there are drastic temp swings (i dont think this is your case here). My tanks always sit around 70-72. But, i dont know if your other fish need a higher temp or not! :)

I would get a heater just to make sure it stays stable. Your other fish prefer warmer temps so you'll need to keep your tank at the higher end for Goldies and lower end for the others. So around 72-74F IMO. Jlk is that too high for goldfish?

I actually have two thermometers. One at each end of the tank. I was curious to see the difference.

Right now, and even with my 29, it holds at 76 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom