Getting a free 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok! Thats fine for everybody- no heater needed!!! A bit warm for the goldies but they are obviously adjusted to the higher temp by now. :)

great thank you!

Heres what I was talking about with the wall heater. Keeps the tank at that temperature.

Attachments

• image-1181666388.jpg
    image-1181666388.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 92
LOL! Yes it keeps me and my fish very comfortable. That's also why installed 2 thermometers to see the difference from the right (being closer to the heater) to the left

It seems the goldies have found their new beds...
(y)

As the goldfish lay all snugged away in the bush...

47432-albums3008-picture19535.jpg

It has officially been 2 weeks since adding the fish. All the fish seem good an hungry. The only difference I noticed in personality was the Calico Telescope. He seems to rest alot in the plants and just chill throughout the day. He comes out for food and to swim for awhile but then just goes back to bed.

Now the plant section of this post. Unfortunately I did not know the negative effects of salt on plants when I built this 55. I had always added salt to the 29 with no problems on the plants, however this time around I added 8 Tbl spoons at once for the build. I am using Freshwater aquarium salt which also dissolves very slowly and once I read about the negative effects I doubled up my pwc's. Here's a pic of what's happening to my Amazon Swords.

image-3835961349.jpg

The leaves seem to be thinning out and on some becoming lighter and lighter in color. I may add my lighting hasn't been optimal. One fixture died, so now there is just one.

My question: Are these ill effects on my amazons from salt or poor lighting?

I am not a plant expert but I am guessing its either the salt or the light or the combo of both. Which brings me to ponder why you would be dosing with salt at all?

I've always added a couple table spoons every 2 months to my 29. The reasons being strictly for preventative health benefits, including healthy slime coat and gill function.

not needed?

Salt is a great thing but it should be respected & treated as a med especially with goldfish. Longterm use can result in permanent kidney damage & issues with metabolic function. I think goldies have enough issues on their plate without throwing a few more in! So, its really not necessary. You dont need to do drastic pwcs to remove it (not a good idea either-they need to readjust as the salinity drops), i just wouldnt add any more unless theres a medical need for it. :)

Salt not needed IMO. Loaches are actually salt sensitive. The sword might die off then come back while it's getting use to the new tank. if it continues to fail I'd blame the lighting.

Check this out..

Here is what the light looked like when it was given to me. Overheated and broken apart:
image-3155553308.jpg

And with about $10 worth of parts from Home Depot, here is my modification.

image-794937627.jpg

I basically switch it from a fluorescent tube to cfl. I used weather proof sockets and inserted them into a PVC pipe.

Attachments

• image-1297211261.jpg
    image-1297211261.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 68
Back
Top Bottom