Goby Pleco/Pitbull Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmpcontrol

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was looking on AqAdvisor about Goby Pleco for our 20H and it says it will outgrow our tank reaching a max size of 2". Does anyone have any idea why?

Thats what I was thinking, I put in the exact measurements of our tank and it says they will out grow the tank space. Its really weird. I'm going to look in to it more because they are really cool.

if your not adding a filter its only saying what they say can live without one. which alot of what they say still is wrong. lol youll be fine with getting the pleco :)

I was looking on AqAdvisor
I think i found your problem...

I'm not familiar with them at all, but what I've seen before was that they prefer to be in groups much like corys. I would think you'd be ok with a couple of them in your tank, but a bigger tank would definitely be better to get a bigger group and give them some more space

Are you sure it wasn't a typo? Most plecos get big, 2 feet sounds right to me instead of 2 inches. Could be one of those dwarf plecos though.

Are you sure it wasn't a typo? Most plecos get big, 2 feet sounds right to me instead of 2 inches. Could be one of those dwarf plecos though.

I went to many different sites to see if that was the case, but all of them say 2"-3" most just say 2" so I'm really not sure.:confused:

Huh. Well I know that when determining (sp?) the appropriate tank size for a fish a lot of things are considered, like how active the fish is or if it needs lots of plants or hiding places. You said you had a 20G high? Maybe it is not long enough or something. I am not sure but just trying to help you figure this out. I would say you are safe with a 2 to 3" pleco in there, as long as he doesn;t get real big!

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=236

Last edited:
Pitbull plecos would be fine in a 20H. I would get atleast 2 though. I would not rely on AqAdvisor to give you correct stocking advice. ;)

Make sure you supplement some algae/spirulina wafers for them. They are cute little plecos.

common plecos yes. there are a ton of different plecos out there from a couple inch to a couple feet.
Pitbull plecos would be fine in a 20H. I would get atleast 2 though. I would not rely on AqAdvisor to give you correct stocking advice. ;)

Make sure you supplement some algae/spirulina wafers for them. They are cute little plecos.
plecos in general have a high bi load its something to keep in mind though 2 would be fine in a 20h.

i really like these guys. I think we may end up with a couple of them instead of the group of cories we were planning if we can find some. I'm gonna call our LFS's but does anyone know anywhere else I can find them? anyone have any experience with them?? would like to know a bit more than what I can currently find online

Back
Top Bottom