Good Bottom Feeders for 10g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NinjaNomad196

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, my 10g tank has been set up for a while, and I just am wondering if there are any bottom feeders I could add (minus a snail or shrimp)

My stock:
-Platy
-Molly
-Guppy
-African Dwarf Frog
-Cory Cat

I know this may be close to fully stocked or already is. I don't believe this is overstocked IMO because I've seen similar stocks work before, and this has been going quite a while. Recommend anything? I heard the following are good:
-More Cories
-Otocinclus
-Bristlenose Pleco (I doubt it, but I heard they are good)

The problem with otocinclus is my tank is low on algae, as it's not near sunlight, it's in the corner of a room with only tank lighting and room lighting.

Thanks!

Plecos will get too big for your tank. But more Cory's is highly suggested.

Yeah, I kind of doubted plecos. xD, Anyways, I'm thinking more cories, but I love otocinclus, too, lol.

EDIT: Also, I've always wondered if a second guppy would work in this tank.

you could try more corys pygmy or panda because those are a bit smaller then the others or you could try kuhil loaches which i kinda love because of their playful behavior

Question

you could try more corys pygmy or panda because those are a bit smaller then the others or you could try kuhil loaches which i kinda love because of their playful behavior

Would this work: Maybe 1 kuhli loach, and 1 more cory?

EDIT: Scratch that: how would 4 kuhli loaches do, and adding 0 cories?

the 4 kuhli loaches would work but since that don't have that big of a bioload i would suggest 1 or 2 more. Another thing is make sure your tank has a good bit of hiding places.

Khuli loaches will hide constantly unless you have a group 6+. I don't recommend them for such a small and heavily stocked tank. A better option if you're looking for someone to help clean things would be a snail or possibly some amano shrimp. The cories may try to eat the shrimp, but they could still work if they have enough hiding spots for them to safely molt.

Also, cories are social critters. They're much happier in groups of 3+.

I agree with the replies that suggest cories. They're great bottom feeders. I wouldn't consider otos to be bottom feeders, but they are great at controlling algae. You say you have an African Dwarf Frog. Don't they need to be able to spend time out of the water?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree with the replies that suggest cories. They're great bottom feeders. I wouldn't consider otos to be bottom feeders, but they are great at controlling algae. You say you have an African Dwarf Frog. Don't they need to be able to spend time out of the water?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No ADF's do not need to go out of water and in fact they need to be in water to survive. What I think you're thinking of is the fact they need to go to the top of the tank periodically to get atmospheric air.

OK so from my understanding you have one of each? Not many bottom feeders are really suggested for 10g, because they're so small :l. I've heard people say cories shouldn't be in 10 g's but others have said otherwise.

Corys should be treated as any other schooling fish 6+ to be happy, but that makes a 10 gallon way too small, I wouldn't put a group of corys in anything smaller than a 29 gallon the smaller tanks just don't have a proper footprint. I have quite a few amanos in my tank they do a good job of keeping things clean and there is not a cory big enough to eat them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Khuli loaches will hide constantly unless you have a group 6+. I don't recommend them for such a small and heavily stocked tank. A better option if you're looking for someone to help clean things would be a snail or possibly some amano shrimp. The cories may try to eat the shrimp, but they could still work if they have enough hiding spots for them to safely molt.

Also, cories are social critters. They're much happier in groups of 3+.

Sorry for late reply, I was busy, and then asleep, but here:
I do realize khuli loaches like big groups, but they do have a small bioload, and I think they MIGHT work, but I'm still unsure. Anyways, I realize cories love friends, and that's kind of why I'm looking for more bottom feeders... I started with 4 cories, and over time, they died, and I'm on my final fellow, so I'm looking for extra help, because this guy is getting older.

Sorry for late reply, I was busy, and then asleep, but here:
I do realize khuli loaches like big groups, but they do have a small bioload, and I think they MIGHT work, but I'm still unsure. Anyways, I realize cories love friends, and that's kind of why I'm looking for more bottom feeders... I started with 4 cories, and over time, they died, and I'm on my final fellow, so I'm looking for extra help, because this guy is getting older.

Mmmm, I still wouldn't recommend Khulis for that size tank. They really do best in 20g+ so you can maintain them in a proper sized group. They can be kept in 10g, but they don't really thrive...

If your cory is getting on in age, I wouldn't restock the cories unless you actually want cories (in which case, stick to the smallest cory species). Let him age out or rehome him, and restock with shrimp or snails if you're looking for something to keep things clean. A Dwarf Orange Crayfish or African Dwarf Frogs are options if you just want something interesting for the bottom and aren't as worried about a cleanup crew. Otos need friends and a lot of algae, which makes it difficult to keep them in small tanks. All other bottom feeders I can think of need larger tanks and are unsuitable for a 10g.

Get the bristle nose!! They are great and don't grow over 3.5 inches. I had one in my 10 gallon for two years and then I got a bigger tank so she moved into that one. They are hardy fish and I think mine likes me because when I put my hand next to her she lets me pick her up...

Get the bristle nose!! They are great and don't grow over 3.5 inches. I had one in my 10 gallon for two years and then I got a bigger tank so she moved into that one. They are hardy fish and I think mine likes me because when I put my hand next to her she lets me pick her up...

Bristlenose plecos are awesome fish, but their adult bioloads are simply too large for a 10g.

I don't think a ten is quite big enough for a school of kuhlis or pygmy cories.
I Highly recommend a handful of amano shrimp. They are like big ghost shrimp. (y)

Back
Top Bottom