Gouramis pissing me off!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosk1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had my gouramis for a couple of weeks now, and they are still just as timid as when I got them. The blue has dug out a little pit behind a large, bushy plant I have in the back center of the tank, and only comes out for feeding. The gold either hides there, or behind another plant, and won't even come out for feeding if she sees me. Any thoughts that will help get them out more, other than rearranging my entire tank?

:(... i have only ever kept dwarf gouramis and they are alwyas out and about in the open spaces!

my dwarf gouramis are always all over the place, i have a gold and platnium gourami, which are 4-6 inches long, they are timid the first few weeks and hude, but they qiucky learn as they grow that they are the boss and thats when they seem to dominate the tank, they stay in the upper half of the tank almost alll day IME

I've had my gouramis for a couple of weeks now, and they are still just as timid as when I got them. The blue has dug out a little pit behind a large, bushy plant I have in the back center of the tank, and only comes out for feeding. The gold either hides there, or behind another plant, and won't even come out for feeding if she sees me. Any thoughts that will help get them out more, other than rearranging my entire tank?

Do you have any other fish that pick on them? My parrot cichlid picks on my blue every now and then, so he hides alot.

I had 2 Pearl Gouramis and they were always out and about from the start. One of them began attacking the other though so I had to bring the aggressor back. Other than that, the one I still have is pretty happy and social. Could be cause he's the only large fish in there, for now...

I have two dwarfs and one hides but is pretty social but the red fire one hides in a castle all the time rarely comes out. so what I did now is put all deco's at back of tank so when they do come out and hang I can see them.

They might just need more time, or maybe a change of the tank decorations/plants. I would wait another couple weeks to give him a chance to come out before changing the scenery. No need to change it all now and stress him out.

I had a blue gourami that would hide in the same spot behind the heater ALL day long and wouldn't even come out for food(or at least that I ever saw). Later I moved him to a larger more heavily planted tank and he became the most active fish in the community.

My dwarfs were shy for only about a week, then now when I walk up to the tank, them and the cherry barbs are begging for food. No shyness at all. And they are always cruising the tank. :)

Keep an eye on them but give 'em some more time. Some gouramis are spooked very easily.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom