Gravel to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canary bird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so my newest tank has been cycled and has my fry in it, I chose to try out pool sand in it and im amazed by it, how clean it is and how easy to clean, so my dilemma is now I want my 55g to have the sand too , I've had gravel in for over 2 years, if I do it carefully do you think it's possible to remove the gravel gradually over a week and then add the sand a bit at a time , without disturbing the fish ? My guys are pretty chilled and not bothered by me always dipping in there , would it be possible or do you think I should just empty it and do it in one day ?

Thanks Suzanne

I've done it in one day didn't have no problems. Yes you can do it in steps just monitor your water.

I would just do it all in one go. Take fish out, empty tank, hose down and scoop out substrate making sure to get all the sludge out, put pre washed sand into the tank, fill with appropriately temped water, add the fish back into the tank after a long acclimation period.

Thank you, I will probably do it in the day .... Once I'm feeling brave enough to do it on my own ! What about the bb loss from the gravel ? I will be putting 50% of the original water back in , will It cause my tank to start a mini cycle ?

Thanks again ...

:)

Eeeeek..... I took the plunge ! I started cleaning the gravel today and shifting a few plants about and thought sod it ! So I'm underway with the change from gravel to sand ;) I've a reverse osmosis water filter so it's gonna take a While for the tank to be full enough to put the fish back in, but should be back to normal this evening, all the fish are in a big bucket with the filter so should be ok !

Ok so it's all done, but I don't think my Pleco is impressed, every morning when I go to feed them he's dug all the sand into the centre of the tank ! Just hope he gets used to it soon ! Big numpty ;)

Back
Top Bottom