Guppies, Neons and Siamese Fighter Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lotsofbabies said:
Hi

Can we start an octagonal 20l tank with guppies, neons, siamese fighter fish and Apple Snails? :confused:

How many of each will be healthy?

:thanks:

Hi!
20L is about 5 gallons. Not very big. IMO only the Betta and one apple snail or a trio of guppies and one apple snail. Neons need more swimming space then a 20L tall tank and guppies and bettas don't mix (Betta will attack guppies glowing tails).

Lotsofbabies said:
Thanks! :)

Only 1 Betta and 1 snail? Not 2 Bettas and 1 snail?

If you wanted you could divide the tank and keep two bettas but I wouldn't advise the snail in that situation. Apple snails are quite large and have a large bioload unlike other smaller snails. Never keep two bettas, of any sex, together in a tank without a tight fitting divider. Female sororities sometimes can be done in large (20 gallons plus) tanks with 6 or more females.

after this weekend, I realised that tank 3 will have to be guppies only, as they are breeding like rabbits!

oh and an apple snail (these are also breeding like rabbits! - see corrections made to my intro)

(y)

Lotsofbabies said:

after this weekend, I realised that tank 3 will have to be guppies only, as they are breeding like rabbits!

oh and an apple snail (these are also breeding like rabbits! - see corrections made to my intro)

(y)

Try adding shrimp
Ghosts, red cherries, or bamboo their fun to watch and help clean up a bit :)

Guppies, paticularly the females, really should be kept in 40L or larger IMO.

It's a large bio-load for the tank. Hopefully you have a test kit. Keep an eye on your parameters. If you can't keep the nitrates from exceeding 20ppm in between water changes, than it's overstocked. If they are reproducing things could get out of hand fast...

Back
Top Bottom