Guppy Fry in Community Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my stocking is this:
6 zebra danios
2 peppered cories(planning on 2 more)
3 male guppies
1 bn pleco
3 baby mystery snails

This is in a 29 gallon. I want to add 6 female guppies. Would any fry survive with lots of hiding places? Would my tank support it?

Bettababe1011 said:
So my stocking is this:
6 zebra danios
2 peppered cories(planning on 2 more)
3 male guppies
1 bn pleco
3 baby mystery snails

This is in a 29 gallon. I want to add 6 female guppies. Would any fry survive with lots of hiding places? Would my tank support it?

I would say YES with a lot of hiding places like you said also you can add thing that float so they can hide in there too.

Do you have a plan for fry or do you want to keep them? 9 guppies might be a bit much for that tank with all the other tankmates. And if you want fry, it could be even worse. I am not totally sure about that though.
How are your water parameters holding up?

I need to check my levels again, but the last time I did, they were fine. The nirite and ammonia were zero, nitrates maybe 5. I'm planning on keeping maybe one or two guppy fry that I really like, and selling the rest or giving them to the lfs.

Ok. In that case I think it would be ok. Make sure to keep a close eye on the water parameters after you add the girls.
I actually have very few fry survive in my all guppy tank. The other guppies hunt them with gusto sometimes. Is your tank currently planted? I suggest getting a breeder net for fry. You only have to keep them in there until they are bigger than bite sized. Yes, if your tank is well planted, some will live. Buts its honestly easier to just net out fry and put them in a breeder net IMO.

I just remembered that I have an extra five gallon. Would that work for raising fry? My only issue with that is culling... I know its necessary, but I figured the adult fish would do that with the community tank... I really don't want to use a breeder net, cause I've heard bad things about them.

absolutangel04 said:
Do you have a plan for fry or do you want to keep them? 9 guppies might be a bit much for that tank with all the other tankmates. And if you want fry, it could be even worse. I am not totally sure about that though.
How are your water parameters holding up?

I agree that is a bit much in that tank

What if I increased water changes? I would keep a very close eye on parameters, and change water whenever. They definitely would have plenty of room to swim. It looks kind of empty right now, actually. The bioload is my main concern, right?

Yes, the bioload is the main concern IMO. Swimming space shouldn't be a big deal because guppies tend to swim everywhere in the tank and utilize space well. If you ever think swimming space is an issue, it would be a good idea to re-home a couple guppies. I will say though that I have seen guppies reach very different sizes, so if ended up with bigger ones swimming space might be an issue.
Yeah, you will probably have to up your pwc schedule. But of course the best way to figure that out is to just do frequent water testing.

odds are they aren't fully grown (3 inches) in my opinion if you want to do fry and all those guppies, rehoming the danios would be best. you should up your school of cories tho.

and yes Bio mass is a concern. it may look like they have a lot of room but they all need their own territory.

what type of filter do you have on
the tank?
doing more/larger water changes is ALWAYS a good idea :) makes healthy happier fish

Bettababe1011 said:
What about raising the fry in a five gallon, like I said in another post?

10g tank works better for fry. more space, allowing them to grow quicker with water changes every few days. also always you to see them get bigger and develop colors.
I would suggest if your planning on getting 6 female, to rehome 1 male and have 2:6 ratio

I guess I'll just skip on the female guppies then. The guppies and danios are what I based my tank around. The cories I need to find somewhere else that has that kind. The place I bought from recently sucks. My petsmart fish have fared better.

Bettababe1011 said:
I guess I'll just skip on the female guppies then. The guppies and danios are what I based my tank around. The cories I need to find somewhere else that has that kind. The place I bought from recently sucks. My petsmart fish have fared better.

have you cansidered getting rid of 2 males and getting 2 females to live with 1 male? then you would have no stocking issues, and would see fry from time to time with lots of hiding places some may survive. but as long as you didn't separate the prego female you wont have to many fry and shouldn't become overstocked

I don't want to get rid of any of my fish. I would rather keep it the way I originally planned instead of changing it. And the nine guppies would overstock my tank even if the fry were in a seperate tank?

Bettababe1011 said:
I don't want to get rid of any of my fish. I would rather keep it the way I originally planned instead of changing it. And the nine guppies would overstock my tank even if the fry were in a seperate tank?

I think it would, yes. I mean with really go filtration, 50-65% water changes ever 5 or 6 days you could do it. with the fry in a separate tank ... making sure you keep an eye on your parameters and doing more water changes if needed

this is what I do on my 60g because it is overstocked. I run 10x the volume of my tank. . so 600gpg for my 60g . so for your tank about 300gph. and frequest large waterchanges

I only have an aquatech filter that came with the kit for the tank. I don't have enough money for another filter of better quality, so I guess I'll skip.

Bettababe1011 said:
I only have an aquatech filter that came with the kit for the tank. I don't have enough money for another filter of better quality, so I guess I'll skip.

you could save up for a aqua clear 70 , I think they are about $30 on Amazon.com. it would do wonders on your tank, if ran along with current filter .. remove carbon and run sponge and biomax ... that's my best suggestion

Any money I get is going into my reef fund. My mom would have bought the guppies, but not another filter. She doesn't agree with my maintenance schedule. She thinks water changes kill fish. She would probably think another filter would too.

Back
Top Bottom