Guppy question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cinnabrst

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new here and have an (apparently) odd question. Has anyone ever heard of jade head guppies or jaded head guppies? I bought some from Petco about a month ago, and only bought a few not realizing that they RARELY get them in. I've asked every other pet store person around my county and no one has even ever heard of them. I can't find anything online, I want to know if I can buy them online or if I can find some more info on them. Thanks!

I've not heard of em, but many places have their own names for fish, which can get pretty confusing. Do they have a latin name? Or can you get us a pic?

Guppy Names

Hi. As usual (if not always :) ) Allivymar is correct. You can walk into 10 lfs and find the same guppies with 10 different names. The names are meaningless. I had a tank of guppies for sale once. Calling them Japanese Reds didn't seem to get them flying out the door. Changing the name to Strawberry Sherberts made them move quickly - like sold out in a day. Too funny. - Frank/Guppyman

Ah so, *duh* pics would be helpful, I'll see if I can work on that, hubby is a bit better than me. Well, i visited Petco again and apparently the guppies are off the opportunity list, so they won't be getting them for a while. I was also informed by PetSmart that the manager had heard of them, when he was in CA, and they're very hard to find because they're seasonal and very hard to breed. Soooooooooo, I guess I'll just be waiting till I see them again. I'm working on finding a scientific name for them, to aid in my own searching, but I believe I've seen them also labeled as Tuxedo Cobra guppies. They're such awesome guppies, the females have really pretty tails too, and they're a considerable bit bigger than most guppies. Alas, should've bought more when I had the chance...

Guppy Question

Hi, cinnabrst. As far as this strain of guppies being "seasonal and hard to breed" - well, I wouldn't put much stock in that. :) One man's Tuxedo Cobra is another's Variegated Snakeskin. The names vary from region to region, depending on what the exporter decided to call them.

The scientific name is the same as for any other guppy, regardless of the strain (common name). They are still all the same species of fish with one scientific name. - Frank/Guppyman

Ahh, thanks Frank. OK, I'm glad you told me that, I wasn't quite liking that guy at the store anyway. He was real pushy and didn't want to let me talk. So, I guess I'll just keep buying guppies, like I've been doing before, and hope I come across my pretty ones again!!

[center:2992a8097c] Welcome to AA, cinnabrst! :n00b: [/center:2992a8097c]
Common names are really meaningless, which is too bad since LFS often don't put the scientific names on the tanks. You will see this problem throughout your fish keeping career. The best thing you can do is your own research! Good luck finding the lovely guppies again :D

Back
Top Bottom