Guppy tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny Tuttle

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been wondering whether I could add in a male and two female swordtails with the one male and two female fancy guppies I currently have in a 21g.

Would swordtails be too big for the tank, allowing for some breeding in the guppies? Would platies be the better choice?

So you have a 21 gallon tank with three guppies in it? You could probably add about ten swordtails and not have a problem. Thats a big tank and you're talking about little fish.

Yeah, I do have only three fish in a 21 gallon. I am thinking the same ratio (1m/2f) of swordtails and platties to the tank.

I'd have 9 adults, accept some fry getting older and sell others.

I think that's fine with me if that doesn't sound cruel. I do have some java moss and other plants to give the fry some room to hide. If no fry reach adult status, I could always up the guppies to six on my own (ie, through my LFS).

Phoenix, I notice this in your signature:

20 gallon: 8 Mollies, 4 Bronze Corys, betta, guppy

You seem to have gone light for a comparably sized tank.

Am I right in thinking with live bearers I should expect more waste and, therefore, fewer fish in a tank?

I added in my three platties yesterday--and six days after having acquired my guppies, I had fry yesterday morning. There were as many as seven. I still see them this morning, but with the platties in, the fry are hiding much more effective in the plants.

I'm tempted for some bottom dwellers. Would ghost shrimp, golden snails, and an oto (the smallest of the algae eaters) work?

A pleco would like my water conditions, but I keep hearing they are messy. Any advice?

Ghost shrimp only eat a little bit of algae, but they do eat some and are fun to watch. I never had any problem with pleco's, just be sure you get a Rubber Lip or other small variety. If you get a standard pleco -they grow upt to 2 feet or more.The oto's are good but dont like to be alone. Never kept the snail so I cant help you there. Always make sure algae eaters actually have algae in the tank to eat, or suppliment with agae wafers or something.

I've since gone with neons instead of swordtails.

Does this eliminate having a pleco of any kind?

Back
Top Bottom