Hang on back filter necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkm0310

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've had my first tank, 10 gallons for about 8 months now. My main question is this: if the BB in the tank is what breaks down waste and cleans the tank, why do I have this cheesy little floss filter media? Is the HOB filter just a glorified water mover or is that floss media actually providing some benefit other than peace of mind that I have SOME level of filtration?

Yes HOBs do move qater but that cheesy floss media also gets the particles in the water that make it look *yucky*. I have floss (quilt batting) and sponges in mine - floss gets tossed when dirty, sponges get rinsed.

I will add it adds more surface area for bb to grow. It also depends on what hob you are using. Not all hobs are the same but for the most part it will filter and polish the water and allow for bb colonies.

Google biological media, mechanical, and chemical filtration. All HOB's I've ever used had at least biological media and mechanical filtration.

Tank Filtration

So I've had my first tank, 10 gallons for about 8 months now. My main question is this: if the BB in the tank is what breaks down waste and cleans the tank, why do I have this cheesy little floss filter media? Is the HOB filter just a glorified water mover or is that floss media actually providing some benefit other than peace of mind that I have SOME level of filtration?

Hello mk...

Mechanical filters don't really keep the tank water clean. They simply take in polluted water and return the water a little bit less polluted. Remove and replace most of the water every 2 to 3 days. This will improve the water quality and you can use the filter to mix oxygen into the water. If you want to take things a step further, add an airstone attached to a small air pump. This will aerate the tank water and you can remove the filter. This way, you don't spend money on filter media. Just keep up on your large water changes twice weekly.

B

Hello, its what you want to make of it w/different bio medias or added fiberfill you can control what it does. This is how I have tetra wisper set up. I took out bio grid, set filter cartridge at 45°(bought cartridges when newbie), put plastic pot scrubbers front & back of cartridge(holds ton of beneficial bacteria). If i want to polish water i take out back scrubbers & put fiberfill. Hope this helps!20190302_201220.jpg20190302_201341.jpg

Thanks all. Yeah mine just has the cartridiges with two layes of the floss with what seems like activated carbon in between. The reason I posted was because I was considering doing something like you did Gomez. I want to not use those disposable filters anymore though. Maybe just a sponge that I can rinse out and some media to hold the BB. Alternately I was wondering if I even needed that floss filter at all. Maybe I could just run the filter with nothing in it for water agitation and rely on my gravel, mossballs, and large lava rock to hold the BB.

Your filter is ALSO catching all the crap in your water that otherwise would be floating suspended in it, so YES the *floss/sponges* are doing something besides providing more area for the BB

Sounds like you have a plan, I'm still trying to use up pads I stocked 1.5 yrs ago(if taken care of pads last 4+mo). Just throwing this out there, I believe most bacteria(around75%) is in filter. Floss not only keeps water clean it also keeps gunk from clogging media. Whatever you decide to do please feel free to share. I know I & others would be interested on how things go! Good luck!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom