Hardy Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sp0ng3r

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know the title is a misnomer, However, out of all the discus, do any of them have more hardyness than others?

Which ones tolerate (may be a different one for each category?):
1) a little cooler water
2) slightly less than perfect water quality
3) any other aspect I am missing

I am really inexperienced when it comes to discus. I got my father hooked again. When he was a kid, he used to raise and breed them in plastic trash cans and sell them to LFS. It was a different time back then. But he was successful at it. :)

I thought maybe I would get him a few for christmas. Since his tank is a little newer, and he is a little rusty from being the pro he used to be, I thought I would look into getting him the easiest of the hard fish :)

Any suggestions on beginner/most forgiving species of Discus? Or are they all basically the same, and depends on each individual fish instead of type?

Hi,

I am unaware of any Discus species being hardier than the other. I do think tank or farm bred fish will adapt better to different water chemistries, though. Wild-caught fish...well, that's another story.

The good thing is, most Discus are farm bred. Try to purchase them from a reputable dealer. They will most likely have been raised accordingly. Even better, purchase them from a dealer who specializes in Discus'. In any case, they're really not all that difficult to keep.

David

None will necessarily tolerate cooler water or reduced water quality. The discus available through the regular wholesale channels suck in quality IMO. I would advise you to seek out a local breeder if at all possible. Not sure where they are in relation to you, but COAST is sure to have a few folks breeding discus. COAST Fish Club California - Home

There are many reputable online sellers/breeders as well.

Back
Top Bottom