heater help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Venturer4life

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, so, I have been doing research about getting a new heater for my tank that is adjustable. Currently I have a tetra automatic heater, which is set to 78'F at all times. I have these heaters in all but 1 of my tanks (obviously all different wattages) (one I have no clue what it is because I have had it since I was very young and my father bought it from our LFS, as we did not even have Internet in our house yet to buy one offline). A lot of people kinda hate on these heaters, but they have worked great for me!! The only con is that they are not adjustable, and in a situation like I am in now (I have a possible ich outbreak in my tank due to adding a new fish), the ability of being able to change the temp is great! I bought them all a few years back when I was short on money (well shorter) and was just really getting into this hobby. I just have not really considered changing them till these ich issues.

I really want a good heater, cause although I am far from rich, I don't want to invest my money in a heater that is not what I want or could end up either freezing or cooking my fish. This heater will be going in a 10 gallon freshwater tank with some plants, a community of tetras, a blue ram, 2 ghost shrimp, and a couple snails. My room temp varies. At home it is 76' during the day and 74' at night and at school (assuming my new dorm room will be similar to my last) will be around 68' (give or take like 2'). I do not have any fancy substrate or a CO2 set up. Normally I am going to want the water at 78', but I like to option of turning it up a bit in the case of disease.

What brands are the best for reliability. Also what wattage do you suggest I use? I have always just bought the one that said "for tanks ___ gallons- ___ gallons".

I'd personally recommend a Visi-Therm 100W heater - They're adjustable with a visible scale, they have a 5 year warranty and a lot of positive reviews out there for performance and reliability.

I'm a big fan of the aqueon heaters, they have done extremely well for all my tanks, and if you're able to spend a couple extra bucks the aqueon Pro Series heaters are great. The pro series heaters have a black ceramic shell which looks great in the tank and the temp control is pretty spot on

Back
Top Bottom