Heater question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chafire

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im thinking of replacing my heater in my 10 gallon with a Visi therm and heres what I'm curious about.

Would it be ok to use a much higher wattage heater in a small 10 gallon tank? My reason is because probably within the next year I will purchase a 55 gallon tank and am just thinking ahead...so I would buy a heater required for a 55 gallon tank now and just use it in the 10 gallon for the time being. Would this be ok or would it cause problems?

Thanks
~Graham

No, I wouldn't. IMO, You can go up a little in wattage from one for the 10, but that big heater will get too hot and turn on and off all the time.

The 200 Watt heater (recommended for 55gal) would be too big for your 10gal. If you need to replace your heater, I would'nt recommend anything BUT the Marineland Stealth heater. 50 Watt is perfect for your 10gal tank, and is by far the best heater on the market for the price. Don't bother with other brands. Pay the extra $2.00 for the Stealth.

I agree. I have changed all of my heaters over to the Stealth. It is SO consistant, I never worry about the tank temp.

They never get stuck in the ON position because I think I've read a couple stories of even the visi therms having that problem

it just shortens the life span. not like having a bigger one will over heat it more just will be turning off and on more. i have ran 250s in 20 gallons for years with no problem. also tends to be better on bigger tanks to run 2 smaller heaters then one large heater. if one goes out or get stuck less harm will come from it.

Back
Top Bottom