Help with stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
crazy but that seems to be my only option! no bottom dwellers or anything? id like to have something to help with the algae and what not

You could keep a small pleco like a bristlenose instead of the con. Plecos produce a ton of waste. Or you could keep a firemouth, but that's as big as I'd go.

The small cichlids I would normally recommend for a 29 gallon (apistos, rams, kribs, etc.) are not suitable for a tiger barb tank.

The problem with multiple cichlids (aside, generally, from the dwarfs) is that they are too territorial to be housed together in a 29. I know it looks like a big tank, but in reality, for these fish it isn't.

You could keep a small pleco like a bristlenose instead of the con. Plecos produce a ton of waste. Or you could keep a firemouth, but that's as big as I'd go.

The small cichlids I would normally recommend for a 29 gallon (apistos, rams, kribs, etc.) are not suitable for a tiger barb tank.

The problem with multiple cichlids (aside, generally, from the dwarfs) is that they are too territorial to be housed together in a 29. I know it looks like a big tank, but in reality, for these fish it isn't.

a firemouth and a con? because im looking to get a couple of something. It just seems crazy to me that there is no way i can have a couple 4 inch fish with the barbs

No, just one or the other. The tank is only large enough for a territory for one or the other IMO.

FWIW, these fish both get larger than 4 inches. A male con will top out at about 5, and a firemouth can hit about 6. Both are interesting fish to keep, but if you wanted both fish you would need a larger tank IMO.

noooo! any cichlids will fight she meant to replace the cons.29 gallons isnt big enough to support 2 4 inch fish unless it's a pair.

If you want something a little bigger, you might like the firemouth more. He'll get along with your tiger barbs and this is a species (like many cichlids) that has a ton of personality. The bigger they get, the bolder they get. I've had cichlids that I could hand feed, it's cool. :)

If you want something a little bigger, you might like the firemouth more. He'll get along with your tiger barbs and this is a species (like many cichlids) that has a ton of personality. The bigger they get, the bolder they get. I've had cichlids that I could hand feed, it's cool. :)

thats exactly what im looking for! thank you. How many barbs would you say? 8-9?

Back
Top Bottom