Help with stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok...

First of all, if you aren't taking steps to raise fry (actually trying to do it) you aren't going to have apisto fry to rehome in a month. ;)

Second of all, I would not recommend apistos of any kind as tankmates for tiger barbs. It's not an aggression thing; I just think that you'll have trouble feeding the apistos. They do not typically surface feed and will be outcompeted by the barbs IMO.

Third, there's no way I would recommend 12 tiger barbs for a 29 gallon. If you have seen an adult tiger barb, you'll know why. LOL. Most of the tiger barbs you see in shops are about half of adult size... if that.

Finally, I tend to agree with the RTS/rainbow shark in a 55 minimum, but even in a 29 there is no way it's taking out a whole group of tiger barbs on its own. Have you guys kept them or just read about their aggression? I've had juvies and adults for years and never had them attack anything else.

Ok...

First of all, if you aren't taking steps to raise fry (actually trying to do it) you aren't going to have apisto fry to rehome in a month. ;)

Second of all, I would not recommend apistos of any kind as tankmates for tiger barbs. It's not an aggression thing; I just think that you'll have trouble feeding the apistos. They do not typically surface feed and will be outcompeted by the barbs IMO.

Third, there's no way I would recommend 12 tiger barbs for a 29 gallon. If you have seen an adult tiger barb, you'll know why. LOL. Most of the tiger barbs you see in shops are about half of adult size... if that.

Finally, I tend to agree with the RTS/rainbow shark in a 55 minimum, but even in a 29 there is no way it's taking out a whole group of tiger barbs on its own. Have you guys kept them or just read about their aggression? I've had juvies and adults for years and never had them attack anything else.

haha. So much disagreeing on this website i figure i should just do what i want without overstocking and learn on my own! if i get 8 tiger barbs, would that be better for the RTS? darn i was really starting to like that apisto

severum mama said:
Ok...

So... A rainbow shark could go in a 29 gallon? Just as long as it had more aggressive tank mates?

Im leaning towards still getting the apistos and just finding out clever ways to feed them. maybe distract the barbs with a slice of cucumber

So... A rainbow shark could go in a 29 gallon? Just as long as it had more aggressive tank mates?

I certainly wouldn't recommend it for an adult, but you could probably get away with it, especially with tiger barbs. Not something I would do, but you know...

Im leaning towards still getting the apistos and just finding out clever ways to feed them. maybe distract the barbs with a slice of cucumber

Apistos are great but they really, really do not belong in a tank full of tiger barbs IMO. It's your tank and your choice, but I'm speaking from experience keeping about 15 different species.

severum mama said:
I certainly wouldn't recommend it for an adult, but you could probably get away with it, especially with tiger barbs. Not something I would do, but you know...

Apistos are great but they really, really do not belong in a tank full of tiger barbs IMO. It's your tank and your choice, but I'm speaking from experience keeping about 15 different species.

aww man! So close! Lol. I'll wait till I get my 55 gallon. :(

haha. So much disagreeing on this website i figure i should just do what i want without overstocking and learn on my own! if i get 8 tiger barbs, would that be better for the RTS? darn i was really starting to like that apisto

Opinions vary, but in most things there is a general consensus, even if it has slight variances.

I don't have any input about the tiger barbs , I've never kept them, so I'd just be regurgitating info.

If you re-read what severum_mama said, she said that she agrees on the 55 gallon minimum for rainbow/RTS. She was just referring to that if one was kept in a 29 it's not likely to kill all of its tankmates due to aggression. They aren't *that* bad, from what I've seen, their aggression seems to be focused more on similar species.

what 3-4 inch good looking and good personality fish would you recommend to put with them? Im looking to get 2

I'm still holding strong for convicts. And on another, slightly off topic note... Have you looked into African cichlids? Based on your Stocking, you seem to like more aggressive species... If you ever consider upgrading... Check them out lol.

Certainly not multiple convicts. You could breed a pair of cons in a 29, but not with anything else in the tank. If you really wanted to, you should be able to get away with one con and a group of tiger barbs.

Certainly not multiple convicts. You could breed a pair of cons in a 29, but not with anything else in the tank. If you really wanted to, you should be able to get away with one con and a group of tiger barbs.

im not too interested in breeding as i am new to the hobby, so could i do a male and female convict do you think? Thanks for all the help everyone

How about a con and perhaps an eel or a pleco?

im not too interested in breeding as i am new to the hobby, so could i do a male and female convict do you think? Thanks for all the help everyone

No, definitely not. They will breed and become very protective... they will kill the tigers IMO in a small tank. If you want a con I would strongly recommend getting only one. I wouldn't do the pleco, but that is JMO. No eel for sure.

yep as soon as the convicts pair off/spawn they'll start attacking everything else in the immediate area. Just stick with a centerpiece fish.

By centerpiece fish you mean just stick with one convict? what gender? I really want two 3-4 inch fish to go with the tiger barbs and it seems crazy that its unlikely!

No, definitely not. They will breed and become very protective... they will kill the tigers IMO in a small tank. If you want a con I would strongly recommend getting only one. I wouldn't do the pleco, but that is JMO. No eel for sure.

I dont need to have a con i just want a couple 3-4 inchers to go with the barbs haha! Is their anything!?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom