Help with stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemmiWinks

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive decided what im going to put into my 29 gallon tank but i need one more fish idea. Right now i have 5 danios which i think im gonna need to get rid of so they dont get eaten. Ive decided on putting in around 8 tiger barbs and a red tailed shark. The local pet store i go to seems to be much more intelligent then petsmart and said this would be a good combination and they also recommended dwarf cichlids but im not sure i want that. I want to have 2 larger fish in the tank ( one being the RTS) what do you think i should get for a 2nd large fish that would go well with he shark and barbs?? im looking for more of a fat round fish rather then a long skinny one. Any ideas help!! thanks

Edit* when i say large fish i mean 3-5 inches

Whoa there, i hate to say it, but the LFS wasn't right either... Red tailed sharks need a 55 gallon minimum. The tiger barbs will be fine, but you'll need to pick some more aggressive tank mates. Maybe a barb tank with a more aggressive centerpiece... Other then the shark.

Why would the RTS need a 55 gallon when it only grows 4-5 inches?

maybe just get rid of the danios also no red tailed shark you could get a convict and a school of 8 tiger barbs and 8 albino tiger barbs

Also if you just type tiger barb in youtube every single video you click the tank has a red tailed shark with them. seems to be a very popular combination

LemmiWinks said:
Why would the RTS need a 55 gallon when it only grows 4-5 inches?

Make that 7-8... It gets extremely territorial when it matures, and will kill pretty much everything else in the tank.

yea but those people dont know about the requirements. if you really want one get a 55 gallon tank.

LemmiWinks said:
Also if you just type tiger barb in youtube every single video you click the tank has a red tailed shark with them. seems to be a very popular combination

If you get a 55 gallon tank, by all means go for it! But it's really not a good combo for a 29.

ok so what other 3-4 inch fish would you suggest with a group of barbs? i really like fish with personality. Would the shark attack the barbs when its grown?

ok so what other 3-4 inch fish would you suggest would go well with tiger barbs? Would the shark be aggressive towards the barbs when its grown do you think?

yes,if you put it in the 29,it will be the only fish left.

Ok so what other 3-4 inch fish would you suggest to go with the tiger barbs? I like fish with personality. Would the shark attack the barbs when its full grown do you think? Sorry if im double posting im new to this forum and my post's dont seem to be showing

LemmiWinks said:
Ok so what other 3-4 inch fish would you suggest to go with the tiger barbs? I like fish with personality. Would the shark attack the barbs when its full grown do you think? Sorry if im double posting im new to this forum and my post's dont seem to be showing

A Convict cichlid. As allaboutfish said, one... Not a pair.

Back
Top Bottom