Helppp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daphne.GH

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Please help. Im not sure what's wrong with him. His tail won't straighten out and im not sure what i should do, i feel really bad for him, thinking he is in pain. Screenshot_20180908-133923.jpegScreenshot_20180908-134023.jpeg

Is it a female? Might have given birth and that's the reason. Either way scoliosis is incurable

Might be genetic, or a poor diet as a fry, might be better euthanize, especially if it's genetic and you have females in the tank, don't want those genes spreading...

Might be genetic, or a poor diet as a fry, might be better euthanize, especially if it's genetic and you have females in the tank, don't want those genes spreading...
Not genetic. He says it was straight a week ago

It can be genetic in that it forms over time, it doesn't have to be from birth to be a genetic deformity. We also have no idea how old it is. I've had guppies develop a curved spine months after they were born, that was from inbreeding :(

It can be genetic in that it forms over time, it doesn't have to be from birth to be a genetic deformity. We also have no idea how old it is. I've had guppies develop a curved spine months after they were born, that was from inbreeding :(
Yes that is true, but it would take a while to develop that huge a deformity. Going from straight to completely bent in a week doesn't sound right

I never had him as a fry, I bought him from pet smart a month ago. None of the other fish have the problem but it looks like it cleared up now,he no longer has a bent spine, but now he just looks fat and bloated and I mean by ALOT[emoji23][emoji37][emoji848]

Yes that is true, but it would take a while to develop that huge a deformity. Going from straight to completely bent in a week doesn't sound right
I never had him as a fry, I bought him from pet smart a month ago. None of the other fish have the problem but it looks like it cleared up now,he no longer has a bent spine, but now he just looks fat and bloated and I mean by ALOT[emoji23][emoji37][emoji848]

Bloated with scales protruding (like a pine cone) is commonly called 'dropsy' and can indicate a very serious infection. Most small fish don't survive that, in my experience. The curved/deviated spine could have been due to fish tuberculosis (Mycobacterium marinum). That really can't be effectively treated. It's common in Bettas, but any fish can get it. It's a slow, progressive infection that eventually kills the fish. Once it's in a tank it's there for good, but not all fish will get sick from it. The overall health and water quality of the tank play a big factor in fish health, but they're not the only thing.

Back
Top Bottom