How do you save a jumper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomasina

Aquarium Advice Freak
Fish jumped out of tank this morning while I was pruning plants. I used a spatula and a wooden chopped stick to roll him onto the spatula. Right now he looks okay. I have a breeder net set up and put him in there. Its a fancy tailed guppy by the way. I just wondered if there is a better way.

You're doing what you need to . . . keep an eye on him. Unless you can see actual injuries there isn't much else you can do. I've read others who've had jumpers that were out of the water for longer periods of time, the fish seemed stunned for a day or two & then were fine.

I've found that when they've been out for a bit, after you have let them sit and recover for a few minutes, push them a little bit - like with a net and make them swim around. I've actually been able to get some that wanted to float on their back to eventually come out of it.

I had a male swordtail jump out of a bucket while i was upgrading tanks, must have been out of the water for at least half an hour probably more. I was really surprised at how he recovered, I just put him in the tank as soon as possible and kept the water really clean, I also used melafix to help speed recovery and help prevent infection. His fins were all dried up and he lost most of his sword, now he's perfectly fine and his tail is grown back really fast. I don't suggest the breeder net unless you have other fish that would harass the injured fish, just let him find his own safe place and keep an eye on him. The net may cause more stress to an already stressed out fish

I had a male swordtail jump out of a bucket while i was upgrading tanks, must have been out of the water for at least half an hour probably more. I was really surprised at how he recovered, I just put him in the tank as soon as possible and kept the water really clean, I also used melafix to help speed recovery and help prevent infection. His fins were all dried up and he lost most of his sword, now he's perfectly fine and his tail is grown back really fast. I don't suggest the breeder net unless you have other fish that would harass the injured fish, just let him find his own safe place and keep an eye on him. The net may cause more stress to an already stressed out fish

totally agree 100%...I had same experience and did the same thing without medication and it was a Platy and she recovered fully and still ticking today

Back
Top Bottom