How fast does a "common" pleco grow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FMJnaX

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, so last night I was at the LFS asking if they had any pleco's aside from commons. He said they didn't, but he could order me one (a 1 1/2" bristlenose for $24). He then said to me that I should be fine with a small (1 - 1 1/2") common pleco since it will take 10 years to get to full size, or 5+ years to get to a size too large for my 29 gallon. I silently called his B.S. on that one and didn't buy one. I tried to do some research, but haven't come up with anything. Probably because the "common" pleco isn't always a strictly defined species.

Anyway, I plan on upsizing to a larger aquarium within the next year or two so in the back of my mind, I've been thinking maybe I'll go and get a small 1" pleco. If I do end up betraying the advise typically given on AA and decide to get one, will I be alright for the year or two until I get the larger tank? Basically, how fast does the typical "common" pleco grow?

Thanks all!

hmm. it usually depends on the tank size and food. im not totally sure but under good conditions maybe like 1/4 or 1/2 an inch a month?

They grow fairly quickly, I had mine since April and at that time he was 3 1/2in, now he is just about 4 1/2 maybe alittle bigger. He is growing faster than my oscars

My pleco went from about an inch, inch and a half, to 7 inches in a year. After about 9 months in a ten gallon tank it was hard for him to swim around and he was constantly ripping out plants. When I moved him over to the 55, he just kept growing, and I had to give him up. :( I really miss that "little" guy.

Hmmmmm, since I made the post, I found a few sites that made mention of the same type of growth rate. I think I'm just going to hold off a bit longer and see if my LFS can order me a small bristlenose, clown, pitbull, or queen arabesque. That will give me time to make a good driftwood choice as well.

Anyone else have any growth stories though? I'd still like to get more information. I will probably be getting a common still with my larger tank.

My common hasn't grown at quite that rate. I've had him about 6 months and in that time he's only grown about 1 inch. I feed him fresh veggies about 5 times a week and I take great care with my water quality. I've been pleased so far with him.....great fish.

Ive had mine for 3 months and he is already twice the size he was when i bought him, and i bought him really small.

I had a royal for over a year and he grew from 2" to just under 4", so they don't grow that quickly. However, look on Aquabid for plecos for better deals, I got 5 albino bristlenoses for $29.00 total including shipping.

If you feed them properly, they grow very fast. As far as I'm concerned they have no place in the average or even very large aquarium, since they will exceed 24", and they are messy.

Is the common pleco the dark one that is sort of spotted? I think that is what I have, maybe I should look for something different? He will get over 2 feet? 8O :!: ?

IF they get that HUGE is it ok to let them go at a local (Arizona) freshwater lake or will they die if I do that? Just curious, I can't imagine having a fish that big in my tank.

krazymom said:
IF they get that HUGE is it ok to let them go at a local (Arizona) freshwater lake or will they die if I do that? Just curious, I can't imagine having a fish that big in my tank.

By the time it outgrew your 55 it would only be about 8" long, you could just bring him back to most LFS.

You can just take them in there (like Petsmart??) and exchange it?? That would be cool.

Tony Starks, I see you have ADF, sorry to be off topic but I was thinking of getting some of those. The lady at the lfs told me they can get out it your tank is not completely covered. Mine has about an inch along the back next to the hobs. Have you ever had any trouble with that? Do you see any problems with the fish in my tank already? Thanks.

They should be fine for your tnak, and I've never had a problem with escaping. No hood I have ever seen is escape proof if a frog wanted to get out, so I don't think they climb out, thats more of a myth. Newts do, crabs do, but ADFs seem to like it under the water all the time.

krazymom said:
Oh one last :?: about them, what do they eat? Thanks a lot, my kids really want them.

I feed mine O.S.I. Shrimp Pellets, but any sinking. meat-type food will do. They are a great addition to any tank, lots of personality and fun to watch.

krazymom said:
IF they get that HUGE is it ok to let them go at a local (Arizona) freshwater lake or will they die if I do that?

I know that this question has been answered but I would like to add something to it. It is never good to release anything from your aquarium to the wild. In some cases it is illegal.
This is just a FYI.. :D

Back
Top Bottom