How fast does a "common" pleco grow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
greenmagi said:
It is never good to release anything from your aquarium to the wild. In some cases it is illegal.

In fact, often highly so...with big, nasty fines....plus you run the risk of having a hand in destroying native ecosystems.

As far as pleco growth goes, I have had several that have gone from circa 3" to 12"-14" in roughly 12 months.

Toirtis said:
greenmagi said:
It is never good to release anything from your aquarium to the wild. In some cases it is illegal.

In fact, often highly so...with big, nasty fines....plus you run the risk of having a hand in destroying native ecosystems.

As far as pleco growth goes, I have had several that have gone from circa 3" to 12"-14" in roughly 12 months.

Ok. Ok. I might have put it too lightly! LOL!

Tony Starks said:
krazymom said:
Oh one last :?: about them, what do they eat? Thanks a lot, my kids really want them.

I feed mine O.S.I. Shrimp Pellets, but any sinking. meat-type food will do. They are a great addition to any tank, lots of personality and fun to watch.

According to what I have read about the "common pleco" or "sucker mouth cat fish", they are strict vegetarians. I feed my pleco algae tabs (1-2 per night) and fresh cucumber up to three times a week. I would prefer to feed him all 'live' food but he hasn't really taken a liking to it, yet.

As for the growth rate, this is my first pleco so I'm not certain of how fast they will grow.

HTH

Joe

Hi Aquajoe, sorry to confuse you but the quote above between Tony Starks and myself got off topic about african dwarf frogs...SORRY!!

Drat, I knew they grew big and I'd have to hand mine off to a bigger tank. I was just hoping he'd make it 8 months to a year before I had to give him up. I've only had him for a little over a month and he's already gained an inch. Sounds like I'm only gonna get 6-8 months before he goes to a friends 120 gallon tank. :(

Back
Top Bottom