How long to quarantine from a local breeder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just read the 'Proper Fish Quarantine' article. A lot of sound advice but what a lot of baloney to deliberately stress a fish and use it as a testing device in your quarantine tank. You might as well stress your whole main tank just to make sure nothing is lurking. Good hygiene and tank management with minimum stress for the fish is all that is needed. Follow the rule that nothing from the QT goes into the DT apart from quarantined fish, not even the water. I also catch fish by hand, a wet hand causes less damage than a net. It just takes patience.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Just read the 'Proper Fish Quarantine' article. A lot of sound advice but what a lot of baloney to deliberately stress a fish and use it as a testing device in your quarantine tank. You might as well stress your whole main tank just to make sure nothing is lurking. Good hygiene and tank management with minimum stress for the fish is all that is needed. Follow the rule that nothing from the QT goes into the DT apart from quarantined fish, not even the water. I also catch fish by hand, a wet hand causes less damage than a net. It just takes patience.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Leave it in a bucket for a day or two-creating an immuno-compromised state. Add this fish to the quarantine tank.
Taken from link

I really thought ??? also,BUT
It doesn't say to freeze ,boil ,poison .... just to set in a bucket(I'll assume heated?) for two days max to cause an immune compromised state which by definition is the lowering of the immune system.
The bucket itself is the stressor.
Believe it.
Don't we all think the stress of shipping or confinement alone(not improper at all) could be what is meant?
Or that those simple acts could be a cause of a disease itself?
We all to often say stress from shipping ...
Angels Plus would never suggest subjecting your fish to less the appropriate conditions.
I have never stressed a fish on purpose like this and can't say I think it is necessary,

But done properly .......

I just take one from DT & put in Qt. haven't tried the bucket thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think this is ridiculous. Stressing a fish and then putting it in QT could probably kill it even if there was nothing wrong with it to begin with. I for one, do not wish to sacrifice any of the fish in the DT. I have worked to keep them happy and healthy. I will stick with my tried and true method of QT.

QT is just that for a reason. If you want to be ultra safe, then you can qt it for 8 weeks. If your in a hurry qt it for a few days. Observation, rest, and bulking up are the main reasons its used. Observation, information from source, and your comfort level with said fish will dictate how long. So qt is really just that, isolation. There is no real proper amnt of time. Just suggested periods of wait for signs. But to answer your question 10 days is a good place to start if you know your sources water, fish, etc...

People will always have varying methods/times they deem safe to qt. Some with legit reasons supprted by facts abt diseases. Theyre not wrong. But thats assuming you know what your watching for in said fish.

I will inevitabelly be told im wrong, but if you qt a fish for 4 weeks and it gets columnaris 3 weeks later. did you do something wrong? Of course not.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I forgot to add that in my years i have never purposefully stressed a fish. And refuse to do so, no matter the reason.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Glad I could help! ?

Or you could always just plop & drop.

I guess my point was that Quarintine tanks are good, but i also like to slowly introduce my fish.

The article is where I got that idea.

I think that the stress of the move could lower immune systems of otherwise healthy fish. Thus the need to be careful with all fish. Better safe than sorry huh?

Also, I'm not an expert on fish quarantine by any means, but Angels Plus is not just some garbage company. I have gotten some quality products from them & trust that they know what they're talking about.

Having said that, I don't think that I could follow the article to the letter without some reservations. They seem a bit over the top with some of the things they say.

Although I believe they have a lot more experience, & a lot more to lose than me as well.

Take it for what it's worth, but I wouldn't have posted it if I thought it was "ridiculous."

What nobody seems to have mentioned is that the fish will become stressed just from the transporting between where they were and where they are going to. I would QT any fish that is being moved from place to place just to allow the fish to settle down, get used to any new foods without competition, lighting times and new faces caring for them. Even if no disease is present or considered, you just don't know what is inside these fish or what they have been exposed to. I always take a better safe than sorry approach. As for how long, if you are willing to chance parasitic diseases in your DT, only as long as it takes for the fish to get used to the new surroundings. If not, I'd QT for the full lifecycle of the most common parasites.

Hope this helps. (y)

It's been ten days. I'm using my DT water for changes on the QT now. Mainly to condition the new fish to the tank's water chemistry. (pH, kH, etc) so that all I don't have to acclimate when I start moving fish around soon.

I have to remove my rainbow shark when I introduce the angels and I'll bring the shark back after I rescape.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Update?

Angels are in the DT, filled QT with water from DT and moved the rainbow shark to QT. Did big rescape in DT.

Attachments

• 1435606538807.jpg
    1435606538807.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 1435606564132.jpg
    1435606564132.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 38
Here's the fish happy and healthy.

Attachments

• 1435624312178.jpg