How many more?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zipzap

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am wondering how many more fish I can add to my 20 gal aquarium.
Right now I have 2 zebra danios, a powder blue gourami, four large cardinal tetras, a kuhli loach, a zebra snail, three guppies, and three rasboras.

:fish2:

I am wondering how many more fish I can add to my 20 gal aquarium.
Right now I have 2 zebra danios, a powder blue gourami, four large cardinal tetras, a kuhli loach, a zebra snail, three guppies, and three rasboras.

:fish2:

The problem with your stocking is that you have a bunch of schools. All of the fish minus the gourami and guppies need at least 6 of each. And that would be overstocking.

Is your tank a 20g long, or a 20g tall? You can add a few more, I would work on filling out your schools if I was you. How may more of what depends a bit on the dimensions of that tank and your filtration and water changing schedule.

Considering a 20 gallon tank is best only having one school. I would keep the cardinal tetras as they are the best schooling fish that you have IMO and add 3-4 more.
And you could still keep the gourami, the snail, and the guppies.
But the khuli loach prefers groups of 3 or more and that would be overstocking your tank.
But I could be wrong.
If anybody want to correct me feel free.
Good luck on your tank!!

Considering a 20 gallon tank is best only having one school. I would keep the cardinal tetras as they are the best schooling fish that you have IMO and add 3-4 more.
And you could still keep the gourami, the snail, and the guppies.
But the khuli loach prefers groups of 3 or more and that would be overstocking your tank.
But I could be wrong.
If anybody want to correct me feel free.
Good luck on your tank!!

I think he could up both his cardinals and kuhlis and be fine .

I have had three loaches in the past, but they both passed on in the last moth. Skimmer is, like Rocky and Wiggles, very old. I have had them for almost two years.
My tank is 20 gal tall, I have an Aqueon "Medium" fliter, and I change 20% of the water every other week.

Is your tank a 20g long, or a 20g tall? You can add a few more, I would work on filling out your schools if I was you. How may more of what depends a bit on the dimensions of that tank and your filtration and water changing schedule.

I worked on filling my schools out in my tank and I'm very happy with the results. The fish are much happier and the tank is much more active. I would suggest working on that. Especially the loaches, they become different fish in a school.

I am wanting to get some different loaches. Good ideas?
Honestly, I suggest you focus on filling out the schools you have rather than getting anything different at this point. Most of the commonly available loaches get too big for a 20g tank anyways. There are some that would work, but I would not add them unless you re-do the focus of your tank.
I would add a few more cards and rasboras. The rasboras tend to swim a little high than the cards do, so I think you would be ok with both of those. I am not a fan of zebra danios in shorter tanks like this, but I don't think it is the end of the world either. They are rather erratic and don't school up tight anyways like some other fish do.
If you are going to add more fish, I suggest doing more frequent water changes. More bioload (poop) means the water gets icky faster. I suggest doing 50% every week.

Back
Top Bottom