How often should you add salt to your freshwater tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiger_Oscar

Aquarium Advice Activist
How often should I add salt into a freshwater tank? I know it doesn't really disolve so does it continue to work??

I don't use salt in my tank because there really isn't a need for it in freshwater environments. But if you really want to use it, keep the level constant (unless treating for ich). I'd add it at each water change, enough to keep the salt level consistant. What I did during the ich treatment was put the salt into a mesh bio bag and let it sit in the tank. Within an hour or so it was all disolved completly.

Thanks....I thought it helped the fish's stress level, gill funtion and other things. What does adding electrolytes do for the fish?

The brand I got was Doc Wellfish's Aquarium salt for freshwater fish. It say the salt never evaporates and is not filtered out.

What's the difference from the salt I mention and salt used for saltwater tank??

if not fighting ich i suppose one teaspoon per 2gallons is enough or even less. u must only add in salt at water changes coz i dont think the level of salt u added will fall naturally. (except perhaps if there are plants. not sure though)

Tiger_Oscar.. how long have you been treating your tank with salt for ich? if its been longer then 3 weeks I would just stop adding it to my water changes(so long as your not lowering salinity too fast..ie your not doing big water changes) if I were you (its no longer nessisary)
btw. it never louses its effectiveness so it will need to be removed with water changes..

greenmagi said:
Tiger_Oscar.. how long have you been treating your tank with salt for ich? if its been longer then 3 weeks I would just stop adding it to my water changes(so long as your not lowering salinity too fast..ie your not doing big water changes) if I were you (its no longer nessisary)
btw. it never louses its effectiveness so it will need to be removed with water changes..
Actually I haven't been adding it after the ICK treatment. Since everybody seems to think it's not neccesary I wont add anymore. Unless I see ick present I wont use it anymore. Thanks :king:

I treated a little over 2 weeks with the temp at around 85.5. I understand you don't have to see it but how else would you know it is present?

Once you had an outbreak you know it is always present until the tank is treated.. a little over 2 weeks should be fine by the way 3 weeks is just for caution sake.

Back
Top Bottom