I give up.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Im 16 work when ever i can and spent all MY money on the dam fish. i just spent £150 on a new filter, only too find 5 day's later all my fish are ill, i have sorted out my water problems and the results are followed.

AMMONIA 0ppm
pH 7.4
NITRITE 0 - 0.25
NITRATE 20

( Oh and i feed them tetra mini crisps (and bloodworms once or twice a week), i do a 20% water change one a week, have the lights on for 8 hours, ummm i have had the fish for 5 months ( had more ie angel fish but filter broke then they went to fish heaven) , i have a FULVAl 205 filter and a internal BIo box filter thing, ?? and a heater set at 80f, its a 30 gallon tank, and i have 7 live plants.)

( hence why the fish are ill as the Nitrate was 160 odd)
but i can never pin point the problems i look at the great web sites that Menagerie gave me but? i took some pictures of the fish;

I think the tetra's have NTD and i no a gourami has internal infection problems ?? and the rest i have no clue, i saved for a hole year for the tank, i just wonder why.

Attachments

• stupid_fish_059_209.jpg
    stupid_fish_059_209.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 23
  • stupid_fish_058_182.jpg
    stupid_fish_058_182.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 28
  • stupid_fish_051_179.jpg
    stupid_fish_051_179.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 25
  • stupid_fish_062_431.jpg
    stupid_fish_062_431.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 25
  • stupid_fish_061_111.jpg
    stupid_fish_061_111.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 27
  • stupid_fish_070_271.jpg
    stupid_fish_070_271.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 45
I'm sorry to hear that you are frustrated and considering what you've gone through, losing patience is not uncommon.

It seems that you have a handle on what is occurring and I took a look at your previous posts to see what the issue is and to help answer your question of "why?"

Overstocking a new tank creates enormous problems. The fish are exposed to some very harsh water parameters which weaken their natural immune system (slime coat). Once this happens, all manner of nasty funguses, bacteria and parasites will take advantage and cause the fish even more stress and they most often will succumb to these problems.

Through no fault of the new aquarist, misinformation when starting a tank is the most common reason for the events you have endured. You will make it through this with a better understanding of the hobby.

Patience is a virtue in this hobby. Since you know what is ailing your gourami, treat the ailment and keep us posted. I cannot tell if anything is wrong with the neons from the pics.

Good luck.

Your gouramis look perfect from the pictures. What makes you think they are ill? With internal parasites you will usually see long stringy white feces, a fish that constantly eats alot, and a wasting stomach. Otherwise, I see nothing external wrong with them (nor anything that would suggest an internal illness).

The color is faded on the neon tetra and it does look like he is suffereing from some spinal deformity, correct?

well sadly there are white stringy feces coming from the gourami, but il go to the pet store and see what they say to help them ( unless you have anys suggestion and that would be great) but the tetra's behavior is strange swimming, in one spot, and non stop chasing each other much like a cat when it fights with another cat ( and not swimming in a pack and i have 8 of them) and there dose not seem to be a glossy cover over then, they look semi eaten. ( its hard to explain) il add some more pictures ( about 4 months ago i hade 1 guppy that had a spinal problem could that be linked i have no other problems with spinal defomity from then onwards ( well perhaps until now of course?)

Attachments

• stupid_fish_046_192.jpg
    stupid_fish_046_192.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 17
  • stupid_fish_052_464.jpg
    stupid_fish_052_464.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 24
  • stupid_fish_051_561.jpg
    stupid_fish_051_561.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 27
  • stupid_fish_057_117.jpg
    stupid_fish_057_117.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 26
  • stupid_fish_048_166.jpg
    stupid_fish_048_166.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 21
For internal parasites, an anti-parasitic medicated food would he your best bet. If the fish stops eating or that does not work, get a medicine that contains metrodinazole. It can be found in Jungles Fungus Clear Tablets.

Your neon could be suffereing from NTD, but it's really hard to tell. His color does look faded. Spinal deformity, especially in the guppy, can be a sign of a few things. With the tetra, I'd suspect NTD, which is sady not curable.

hi, thank you for your help, what should i do with the tetra, should i (try god they are so fast) and take it out or leave him in? non of them look to happy?

Once again thanks,

oh and the food, with medication, were can i get it as my pet shop ( that is rubbish) dose not sell it, like most things, is there a web site? ( uk )

hmm thank you, um can the other neons get NTD from the ill neon? or should i try and take it out?

Thanks Jchillin for your help,

this is the gourami that had internal problems, and is now swimming staringly, it has just yesterday got this little red patch on its eye, is it anything to worry about?

Attachments

• stupid_fish_076_147.jpg
    stupid_fish_076_147.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 24
  • stupid_fish_078_155.jpg
    stupid_fish_078_155.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 34
  • stupid_fish_075_560.jpg
    stupid_fish_075_560.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 27
Jchillin said:
I'm not certain if NTD is communicable. But since there is no cure for it, euthanizing is a much better option.

NTD is communicable to other fish, so I would definitly at least put the neon in a quarantine.

that would be fine if i had another tank!!! sadly im 16 and dont have the money to spend on another tank,heater, and so. thanks for the help,

dose anyone now if the eye of the gourami with the little red dot is okay????

Back
Top Bottom