I have a completely awesome idea!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Primordialsoup

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm not sure if this is the section to make this post in but there's an idea for an aquarium design I've had for a few years now. I don't know if such a thing already exists so it would probably have to be custom designed or commissioned or maybe suggested to an aquarium company. In any case I think it would be incredible. It could be any size and essentially it would be two separately maintained tanks in one, only connected in the middle by a tightly sealed and completely watertight divider molded into the glass or acrylic. It would have to be capable of withstanding high water pressure on both sides. It would also be completely clear so you can see either side of the tank through it. Now here's where the awesome part comes in. Let's say you have a 200 gallon tank that's actually turned into two separate 100 gallon tanks by the divider. One side/tank is tropical freshwater while the other side is saltwater marine. It would be beyond amazing to see how fish that survive in two different aquatic ecosystems and would never actually meet would interact with one another upon seeing each other through the divider. Think about it, the possibilities are endless. There might be mutual curiosity between peaceful schooling fish such as barbs, tetras and platys on one side and clownfish, damselfish and cardinalfish on the other. On the flip side there might be some aggressive displays between similar sized territorial heavyweights such as an oscar and a triggerfish. What do you guys think? Wouldn't an aquarium like this be awesome?

You might have to be creative with lighting as marine and freshwater tend to have different lighting requirements. Seperate filters and heaters as well. All said probably easier and less risky to just sit a freshwater tank next to a saltwater tank.

I’m so scared of leaks that I actually considered putting a tank inside a tank! - which led me to think of having 2 tanks inside a tank!! Would that work?! :D

You might have to be creative with lighting as marine and freshwater tend to have different lighting requirements. Seperate filters and heaters as well. All said probably easier and less risky to just sit a freshwater tank next to a saltwater tank.

Yeah I actually did come to the conclusion of two separate tanks touching each other on a strong sturdy table rather than a fused divided tank so the fish can still see each other. It would certainly be really cool but you're right, the maintenance would be crazy and I never did consider the different lighting and filtration needs. It would still be awesome to get a company to create the former but it would probably have to follow a much more complicated design plan than a divider and it would probably be insanely expensive.

Back
Top Bottom