I need Mystery Snail Baby Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaimeejohnson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So about a month ago my mystery snail started laying clutches of eggs. I was told they cannot breed without a mate. I was pulling down the clutches and throwing them away since I only had one snail. I did not notice one behind the filter and I now have at least 35 baby snails. How did this happen? My tank is only a 30 gallon. The babies are a few weeks old now and getting larger. I love having them in the tank and figure I will sell some when they big enough to move without hurting. Since having them my tank water is so much clearer and the glass is so much clearer. Am I going to have to watch for an increase in amonia or anything like that? Also why wont my snail stop laying eggs. She lays about one clutch every 1-2 days. Last month I threw out 18 clutches. In October I have had another 9. Is this normal?

The can store sperm for a really long time so if she had contact with a male before you got her, she was probably already pregnant.

They can also lay eggs that never hatch.

Back
Top Bottom