I thought Gourami's were pigs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ghostriderphoto

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have 2 young Pink Kissing Gourami's currently in a 10 gallon tank( they will move into my new 50 gallon as soon as It is done cycling). I have a whole assortment of foods for them, but they don't come up to eat. I know they are eating because they are still "making waste" and I see them kissing on all the decorative plants and displays. They also seem very skittish and will hide when they see me move. I thought Gourami's were more personable and fun than these 2 are being! I feel like I am feeding the water! HELP... My Gourami's are no fun!

Is there a way I can teach them to "feed". I worry that they are not getting the nutrition they need to grow and thrive...

I have had them about 2 weeks. I had them in a 37g until it broke and I had to put them back in the 10 gallon that is in mid cycle. They forage the tank for any algae they can find and must be picking up scraps from the gravel, but half of the excitement of having fish is feeding them.

I'm hoping they settle in and become more enjoyable... Are there any plants or greenery I can add for them to munch on?

My water parameters are fluctuating right now as the little 10 gallon is in mid cycle and I don't have my fifty set up yet.

I think that they are more of a meat eater, than with plants.
I would just give them a while to get settled in.

I ordered an active filter today to try and get their ten gallon through its cycle faster... I seem stuck right now with ammonia and nitrates and no nitrites. When I get the 4" active filter should I do a big water change and put that in the tank? I just want to help them get settled ASAP to minimize their stress. I am a beginner that was told bad info when I purchased my ten gallon as a first tank.

Ghostriderphoto said:
I ordered an active filter today to try and get their ten gallon through its cycle faster... I seem stuck right now with ammonia and nitrates and no nitrites. When I get the 4" active filter should I do a big water change and put that in the tank? I just want to help them get settled ASAP to minimize their stress. I am a beginner that was told bad info when I purchased my ten gallon as a first tank.

You want to have nitrates in your tank, if you have no nitrites that's great. It means everything is cycled, just keep an eye on the ammonia.

Mine took a couple days but know they spit water and I can stick my finger in the water and they brush up against it and nibble on it just give them time

I'm looking forward to seeing their personalities come out. They have tolerated quite a bit being in a cycling ten gallon. I got them from two different shops and the one seems a little deeper in the body just before the tail than the other. I like the stories about the gouramis and their pet like personalities.

I have been testing the water religiously and doing pwc's when needed. The ammo and nitrates both rise and have to be controlled with pwc's. Last nights pwc included gently vacuuming some of the gravel surface to remove some of the decaying food and waste. I took about 50% of the water too to control ammo levels that were too high... Between .50-1.0ppm.

Hope yours get better I love mine and ordering 2 females to breed them. I love watching them spit water and hope they stay like they are and keep brushing my hand kinda like a cat does lol they crack me up. I really hope yours get more social soon.

How old are your Gouramis? How can you be sure you will be getting females? I don't even know if mine are male or female... Wish I could tell...

Mine are only 2 inches long and I contacted PETCO online and they can send them to me and guarantee females but otherwise in store only sells males just watch yours cuz if they are both males they will fight over territory

On that note... I just got done putting in a divider. The slightly larger one has half a tail missing :( they were doing so well... Guess not. I will have to get my 50 gallon set up tomorrow! I must have 2 males?

Yea another reason why I'm buying a 55 this week and getting the females but the funny part is they chase the barbs around so they rule the tank for now. I'm adding alot of hiding areas to the 55 and alot of live plants. I got clear PVC cut today for a wall I'm building out of rock to divide the gravel and sand with the PVC they should love it

Now, I am just jealous. I have no idea how I want to set up my 50. I am going to be rushed into it, unless I take both of my gouramis in for a store credit. I don't want to do that though. I don't know what I am going to do. I would love to see pics of your tank though... Sounds like it is going to be really nice. Are you just going to have the gouramis or are you adding more fish?

NA I got a ten gallon right now but went over board on fish so that's why I'm getting the 55 Wednesday cuz I have 2 going to be 4 gouramis and 1 rainbow shark 3 tiger barbs and 1 Angelfish and going to add 4 more barbs and 1 rainbow and 1 angel lol going to have to get a bigger tank again

I have a dwarf gourami that was the same (kinda skiddish) Until I got a fairly agressive dalmation molly and that made the gourami a little more agressive when feeding, I think it wants to be competitive with the molly. Its still a little skiddish with me moving around the tank, but the molly isnt I can hand feed it and pet it lol.

Back
Top Bottom