ID please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr_girlfriend

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, I think I have a new species of snail in my tank :roll:
Like I didn't have enough to begin with.......
Ramshorn?

I used to work at a pet store and our tanks were full of those, but I'm not sure on the exact name. Sorry. :)

dr_girlfriend said:
Ramshorn?

That would be my guess. I have a few of those myself. They don't get as big as the columbians you see for sale. But, as mentioned, they are prolific.

to me they look like mystery snails, i saw some really healthy plump ones last night at petsmart for $1.49 ea

Pretty soon my tank is just going to be wall to wall snails. No matter how many I get out 50 more are waiting and hiding. First pond snails, and now these. Just hope they don't like the taste of my plants.

From the first photo, it looks like they could be the giant ramshorn....the small 'pest' sorts of ramshorns don't exhibit such wide shells. Are the breeding at that size, or perhaps a bunch of eggs recently hatched and they are immature?

Look like one of the types of ramshorns in my tanks.... They are like pond snails in reporduction... they do repouduce.. but in about a year i think i have about 60 ..

Are the breeding at that size, or perhaps a bunch of eggs recently hatched and they are immature?
These are the only 2 I've seen. They seem to come out at night on this piece of wood, and I just noticed them a few days ago. I'm guessing they are newly hatched, possibly from some plants I got a few weeks ago. I rinsed the plants real well and did the bleach/water dip, but I guessed I missed them. I got a few more shots, hard to get a focused close pic.

I think I've seen one eating some of the thread algae off my anubias. (or hes trying to eat my plant) If it is a giant ramshorn are they dangerous to my plants?

I don't know what the snails are, but myself.... I toss in any snails I find whenever I can. I even look for the plants with plenty of snails on em.
I have a YoYo Loach and and Angelique Botia. Snails never last longer than 2 days in the tank, and the loaches always seem fat and happy.

i saw yellow mystery snails at petco, it was all a mystery snail tank they were gold yellow very pretty too! i plan on getting some mystery snails cause i like them they arent as gross looking as the normal common pond snail i swear to god i have at least 500 in my tank not including newly laid eggs, my pleco does not eat the snails, so this week i plan on getting a clown or 2 for my tank

Back
Top Bottom