Is it ok to let my Cherry Barbs give birth but allow them to be eaten?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mpwallace1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I got 3 males and 3 female Cherry barbs in a 45 gallon community aquarium that's not over crowded in the least.
Anyway I knew they were rarin' to breed when I got them as they were pairing off and going bananas all over the tank. I just caught them either doin' the deed or more than likely laying eggs and fertilizing in the thick Java Moss I got. The female has got a big gut right now.
I didn't get into the hobby to breed but selected the male/female ratio to minimize fighting, so I kind of asked for it.
Is it considered unethical to let the babies be born and let fate decide if they survive or not? I got a round filter over the hang on back intake pipe but I'm sure they will definitely get eaten if I don't do the separation tank gig, by themselves or perhaps the neons, dwarf gouramis or glow danios.
Thanks for your opinion.

I have livebearers, and I largely do a survival of the fittest approach with them. I rarely pull out fry unless I'm looking for something specific or know someone who wants/needs something. I also have kept fish I know will eat fry in my tanks as population control when I haven't had room for growouts. Unless you're breeding for a purpose, I don't see a problem with it.

With cherry barbs it is likely the eggs will be eaten before you see any fry. If you *want* to breed the barbs you basically need to move them to another tank and pull the adults right after they spawn.

If you want to avoid any eggs getting eaten cherry barbs might not have been the best choice :)

Great, thanks everyone. You know, I didn't think it would happen, but I kind of developed a relationship with the little guys. Strange, I know.

Back
Top Bottom