Is my guppy sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarahwit88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I noticed my female guppy has become big (shes always bin small), she has been laying at bottom of tank for 2 days, she does come up for food but doesnt really eat much, there is no visible gravid spot so dont think she is pregnant, can anyone help please?

50% water changes done twice a month, weekly water tests done and never had a problem, todays water test:

PH - 7.2
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

Im really worried about her, i have put her in a breeding tank for now so i can keep an eye on her, so any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance 20200504_100443.jpg20200504_100457.jpg20200504_100518.jpg20200504_100901.jpg

Don't put her in a breeding box, you stress her out for no reason.

It is hard to see the scales on the pictures...
But i'm afraid it is dropsy.

Fish illnesses How to spot them | Tetra®

Physical/Behavioral Signs/Symptoms:
Grossly swollen belly
Scales that stand out with a pinecone-like appearance
Eyes that bulge
Gills that are pale
The anus that becomes red and swollen
Feces that are pale and stringy
Ulcers on the body, along the lateral line
A spine that is curved
Fins clamped together
Redness of the skin or fins
General lethargy
Refusal to eat
Swimming near the surface

Cause:
A bacterial infection of the kidneys, which causes fluid accumulation or renal failure. It appears to create problems only in weakened fish. May stem from untidy aquarium conditions.

Treatment:
Tetra Lifeguard®
Remove filter carbon and turn off UV sterilizer. Add one tablet per day to each 5 gallons of water. Treat for 5 consecutive days. Repeat until symptoms clear. External treatments are challenging; preventative care with regular water changes, maintaining ideal aquarium chemistry and adding aquarium salt is highly recommended. Antibiotic injections or feed are most effective, but some wide spectrum antibiotics may help, like Tetra Fungus Guard®.

How to treat it with salt...
https://www.thesprucepets.com/dropsy-in-aquarium-fish-1381806

Back
Top Bottom