Is this OK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SZielin2431

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello
I have a 30 gal freshwater tank. It is mainly a livebearer tank, with a few tetras. I have close to 20" of fish. I noticed a couple of my new fish had a little fin rot. Since I do not have a QT tank, I have been treating the whole tank. For the past two days, I have been using Melafix, along with 25% pwc, and taking the carbon packs out of my HOB filter. My question is how long is it safe to leave out the carbon packs? The fish seem to be getting better, with fins growing back.

Also, there is one guppy where it looks like the fins are hard or stiff. Anyone know what this is? thanks

How safe is it to leave out the carbon packs? Very safe. In fact, carbon typically only lasts 7 days before it needs to be changed anyway. In my 29 gal, I removed all carbon from both of my filters without a bit of ill effect.

Glad to hear the fish are doing better!

The directions on the Melafix say to treat every day for 7 days, followed by a 25% PWC. Then you can put the carbon back in the filter. Maybe it would help your fish if they got the full amount of Melafix during their treatment. :?

Your tank will be just as good without the carbon as it was with it in. Some people don't even use carbon. 8)

Glad to hear the fish are getting better.

As for the stiff fins, it could be further progressed finrot. Keep an eye on it. Is it getting any better?

Yes, the fish do seem to be getting much better. Seems like the Melafix is working great. Yes, I did read the bottle wrong. Thanks for that severum mama. Thanks for all the advice.

Back
Top Bottom