Is too small a bioload possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaden

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Recently I had to remove and euthanize all my fish due to neon tetra disease, leaving only my inverts: 2 mystery snails, 4 nerites, unknown number of baby nerites, and 6 ghost shrimp.

Is it possible to have a bioload too small, or is this sufficient? I have a lot of live plants and mosses in here and I want to keep them healthy, as well as making sure my biological filter stays healthy and alive. I can't add any more fish until I've given the tank a while without, in case there's any NTD pathogens left. I know I'll be adding more ghost shrimp, but they are such a small animal with a tiny bioload that I don't know. I know snails are pretty dirty critters though, so I'm hoping their snail poo can help keep my plants alive and my filter going.

I really don't want to add any more fish at this time until the tank has had a while to settle in case any trace of NTD remains, so that won't be a viable option. x_o Suggestions? My tank is 6 gallons, fully cycled, good parameters (0,0,5 on ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate).

kaden said:
Recently I had to remove and euthanize all my fish due to neon tetra disease, leaving only my inverts: 2 mystery snails, 4 nerites, unknown number of baby nerites, and 6 ghost shrimp.

Is it possible to have a bioload too small, or is this sufficient? I have a lot of live plants and mosses in here and I want to keep them healthy, as well as making sure my biological filter stays healthy and alive. I can't add any more fish until I've given the tank a while without, in case there's any NTD pathogens left. I know I'll be adding more ghost shrimp, but they are such a small animal with a tiny bioload that I don't know. I know snails are pretty dirty critters though, so I'm hoping their snail poo can help keep my plants alive and my filter going.

I really don't want to add any more fish at this time until the tank has had a while to settle in case any trace of NTD remains, so that won't be a viable option. x_o Suggestions? My tank is 6 gallons, fully cycled, good parameters (0,0,5 on ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate).

So you were keeping neons in a 6 gallon if so, that was/is way too small.

His question was more towards his current tank..

I think you'll be good, and I'm currently keeping my cycle alive with a host of pond snails and a small slowly dying plant until I get shrimp and moss.

I'd say many people just keep small shrimp tanks cycled - so you'll be fine!

Back
Top Bottom