japenese fighter fish (bettas)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m013y

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive been trying to look into fighter fish but not a great deal about on their breeds.
Chinese? Japanese? Facey? Half moon? Spikey?
Are all different in looks but is this just a selective breeding thing?
Is their a type thats more value than the others?

I think the halfmoons cost more because that trait is not a dominant trait like the crowntail.

I love my little female betta, tons of personality and way cheaper. If you want a male, go to Petco, they sell babies, and pic out one with long finnage. Adult males are 5-12 dollars but babies $1-$2, and you have a good chance of getting a male. As for finnage types, they are all beautiful and all make great buddies. Oh, and by the way, if you get a male betta, I think Muchacho(sp?) would be a good name. It means buddy, friend, brother in Spanish, or so I've been told. Lol

I settled for these two in the end. They just caught my eye. The guy in the shop said it some sort of dragon scaled fish or something... im not sure????
a new one to me lol

thanks for the info

ForumRunner_20121020_094450.jpg

They are all the same fish (betta splendens) just different fin and scale types. Halfmoon Bettas for example are more expensive than say a vail tail or a crowntail (spiky fins) because that fin type was only developed in more recent times. Do I see that you have two Bettas in the same tank? They should never be kept with their own kind.

They in the process of mating. They are the only fish in a 5ft tank atm and she has really short fins so she alot more faster than him. I am aware ill have to seperate them after theyve mated.

They are not mating, I would bet that they are trying to kill each other. If the male hasn't made a bubble nest, that's what they are doing. If you don't want to lose fish, separate them immediately. You can still try breeding them at a later date when you have the proper equipment and are more informed on the process. The fish have to be conditioned and prepared. The fry have to be fed special live foods. You have to separate the male fry into jars, perhaps hundreds of them. You have to have a tank specifically for the females. Breeding isn't undertaken lightly. Please separate them and read up on the process of breeding from a reputable site and if you still want to get the proper equipment.
If you continue housing them together, you'll have dead or seriously injured fish which may die from their injuries.

I am aware of this and have done it many times before in a community tank, It can be a problem.
He is actually starting building his nest the day he got in my tank. I know its slightly over sized for whats in there, but because of this i assumed he was happy with the new enviorment
but like yu say i will av to rearrange once the fry are born if alls successful. Ive kept fighters before i was just curious on different species.

Back
Top Bottom