Kissing Gourami - how many to keep together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gromit

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

Can anyone offer some advice on what the ideal number is of kissing gourami to keep together? I started out with a pair, and one is looking very weak, I suspect may be being bullied by the stronger one?

Many thanks for any suggestions! :)

How big is your tank?
do you know what Sex your Gouramis are?

if its a male and female get more females 3 females should be good depending your tank size.

if its two males they will fight and bicker (possibly to the death).

Good Luck
Chris :)

Yep, the above is correct.
Two - three is ideal, preferably one male and two females.

Kissing Gourami will also go through live plants like butter, so not recommended unless you have a plastic plant setup.

G

Thanks for the suggestions. How do you tell the sexes apart, from what I've researched on the 'net, it's not a simple process?

BTW, I have a 260 gallon freshwater tank (took me a while to convert from litres, as we use in South Africa, sorry), full of plants which seem to be growing faster than they're being take out at the moment, thankfully! I have a wide range of fish in there, did a lot of homework on making sure we got compatible fish, and generally trying to make sure we got the correct numbers of each. Unfortunately we obviously didn't get it right for the kissing gouramis.

Regards,
Caroline (gromit)

he he :lol:
It sure does become a bit tricky to replant the plants that get uprooted from time to time!

Back
Top Bottom