long distance move

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flvol77

Aquarium Advice Regular
Moving from West Palm Beach to Pensacola in a couple of weeks and I am mot sure what to do as regards moving.

I moved down the road about 8 months ago and was able to break everything down and put my 55 gallon in my SUV.

This time moving company is moving everything, so I am thinking of taking the tank in the SUV and driving up to Pensacola, setting everything up.

Its an 8 hour trip, will the bacteria stay alive and well in the filter as long as I keep water in it? I have 18 fish, mostly tetra's, couple of rainbows, everything is healthy. I am picky about my tank. I need some ideas on transporting them. I have a 10 gallon Tupperware with a lid I was thinking of using, we are leaving at night so worrying about the heat will not be as big of a deal. I know I need some kind of temporary bubbler or filter or at least I would think I do, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I wouldent drive long distances with the water in the tank as it will make the walls of the glass fall down or weaken it as for the fish I would govtobyour local fish store and ask if they have any polasterine boxes that the fish arrive in and but a couple of heat packs fill the bags with water more air than water is better slings you got enough air in bagvthet should be fine

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could do what I did when I moved 10 hours away from my hometown I got a cooler and a battery powered air pump,air line, bubble wand,and a heat packs in triple freeze bags. I also dosed the water with two cap full of Prime. All my fish did fine and it was in the dead of winter. And yes empty the tank just put your filter media in the container with enough tank water to cover it and put the decor and substrate in totes with damp towels. And you should be all set. Good luck with the move.

You could do what I did when I moved 10 hours away from my hometown I got a cooler and a battery powered air pump,air line, bubble wand,and a heat packs in triple freeze bags. I also dosed the water with two cap full of Prime. All my fish did fine and it was in the dead of winter. And yes empty the tank just put your filter media in the container with enough tank water to cover it and put the decor and substrate in totes with damp towels. And you should be all set. Good luck with the move.

Thanks for your help, This is what I think I am going to do,

Empty the tank, put the sand in a 2.5 gallon bucket that has only been used for fish tank changes etc.

I have a canister filter so I was going to just leave the water filled in the canister.

Put all of the decor (obviously I am not using live plants) in a tubberware container and put the canister filter in the tubberware.

Great Idea about the cooler, I do have a 55 QT Yeti that is one of the best coolers on the market so temperature changes should be minimal.

I have to look into a battery air pump. I have plenty of air line around the house and I know I have a bubble wand somewhere.

Set up will be fun, after driving 8 to 8.5 hours setting up a fish tank will be last on my list of priorities to do, but you have to do what you have to do, way too much work went into this tank and there way no way I was going to give it up.

Find a quality LFS in your area that ships fish. Explain the situation and ask if they could help in packaging with O2. After all, they get shipped all over the world for days at a time in little plastic bags. As for the water, load it in 5 gallon buckets if you want to save it or just half for a 50% WC as long as that water is the same. Home Depot has them with good lids that don't leak.

Don't forget you can buy an adapter that well allow you to plug in your current air pump in via the cigarette lighter

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom