Male and female Bettas as tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Namar

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been doing a little reading about this but thought I would ask for peoples experiences with having a male beta with one or more females.

I have a 20gal community with a young male beta, 3 Cory's, a BN Pleco, 2 Mystery snails and a Bamboo shrimp.

I recently added a female and at first he chased her and was very territorial so she just his in the plants for a few days. He seems to have opened to her a bit but not totally but there is plenty room in there with enough hiding places. I would like to add another female but want to hear some stories first.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1418438442621.jpg
    1418438442621.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 65
Unfortunately the stories you're going to hear do not have happy endings.

If you want to keep males with females then you have to get wild types that naturally live in a group like that. Keeping regular bettas together like that will lead to dead fish, either sooner or later.

I heard it doesnt usually work out and they will fight. You can have multiple females (sorority), but with males and females together, they always fight.

Multiple females fight too - sorority tanks have a high instance of failure. Higher than any other setup people suggest.

Back
Top Bottom