Male or Female Bristlenose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oohitsae

Aquarium Advice Addict
So one of my friends has this albino longfin, and she can't figure out the sex positively for the life of her. She used to always think that it was female, but now she's starting to lean towards male because of how long the bristles are.
Now, I think that it's a female. She does have long bristles, but she doesn't have them anywhere but around her mouth from what I see in pictures, plus I have heard that she's out a lot more than I'd expect a male to be.

Anyways, since neither of us can come to a positive ID, I leave it to you all!

Sorry, these are the best two pictures she was able to get.

Attachments

• boo1.jpg
    boo1.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 99
  • boo2.jpg
    boo2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 86
Forgot to add that Albino bn are known for being out a lot during the day, not just the females.

Hmm, I thought that females could grow them around te mouth, but not on the face..

I didn't know that about them all being out though. Mine haven't sexed out yet but I've always got 1 hiding in my sponge filter outlet and another in "his" cave all day long, so I assumed all were like that.

Only the albinos tend to stay out a lot during the day. On rare occasion females can grow them around the mouth but it's not common. One way to tell is wait and over the next year and if those bristles don't grow any longer then it could be a female. If they continue to grow longer I would say it's probably a male. I'm not an expert on them but over the years I've never had a female get any bristles.

Back
Top Bottom