Mean Blue Gourami what can I put in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mickitiffen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 tanks 55 g and 20 g

In the 20 g I had 2 Gouramis (blue and orange), 2 Cory cats, and a pleco (small).

It is a planted aquarium with lots of rocks and hiding places.

The Blue Gourami was tormenting the orange one so I moved her to the 55 g. I added some Harlequin Tetras and within 3 hours they were dead.:( No water chemistry issues. I purchased 3 Columbian Tetras and I noticed that the Gourami was chasing them. I moved one to the 55 g tank, one died and one is hiding.

Any advice about what to get for this tank? :confused: I would like some fish that are mid level but don't know what will be able to stand up to the Gourami. Or should I move him to the larger tank as well. The 55 g has a Black Ghost Knife, 2 Coolie loaches, small Pleco, 2 small Discus, African knife, small catfish that is hides all the time, orange Gourami. Heavily planted with real plant, lots of decorations for hiding.

mickitiffen said:
I have 2 tanks 55 g and 20 g

In the 20 g I had 2 Gouramis (blue and orange), 2 Cory cats, and a pleco (small).

It is a planted aquarium with lots of rocks and hiding places.

The Blue Gourami was tormenting the orange one so I moved her to the 55 g. I added some Harlequin Tetras and within 3 hours they were dead.:( No water chemistry issues. I purchased 3 Columbian Tetras and I noticed that the Gourami was chasing them. I moved one to the 55 g tank, one died and one is hiding.

Any advice about what to get for this tank? :confused: I would like some fish that are mid level but don't know what will be able to stand up to the Gourami. Or should I move him to the larger tank as well. The 55 g has a Black Ghost Knife, 2 Coolie loaches, small Pleco, 2 small Discus, African knife, small catfish that is hides all the time, orange Gourami. Heavily planted with real plant, lots of decorations for hiding.

Two gouramies together is always challenging, and looks like yours, on top of it, have a bad temperament.
I think that you have a better chance moving both to the 55G, specially because is heavy planted. If this doesn't work, my suggestion is to return one to your lfs.

It's like having convicts in a broom closet and hoping they don't fight. Move them over to the 55g and my bet is the problem goes away. I keep a gourami spieces tank with over 20 fish from moonlights, pearls, blues, and golds with no problems, it's almost like stocking a Malawi tank where a little overstocking seems to reduce aggression.

It's like having convicts in a broom closet and hoping they don't fight. Move them over to the 55g and my bet is the problem goes away. I keep a gourami spieces tank with over 20 fish from moonlights, pearls, blues, and golds with no problems, it's almost like stocking a Malawi tank where a little overstocking seems to reduce aggression.

So you are saying to move the Blue Gourami in with the Orange one? Then I could just stock the 20 gal with other fish? Any advice about how to acclimate the Blue one in the move?

Two gouramies together is always challenging, and looks like yours, on top of it, have a bad temperament.
I think that you have a better chance moving both to the 55G, specially because is heavy planted. If this doesn't work, my suggestion is to return one to your lfs.

So far the vote is move the Blue over. I guess I would try it. I just hate the process of moving the fish. Last time someone told me to put a but with 2-3 gallons of current tank and then add cups of new tank water to the bucket --30 minutes sitting, ever 15 min add a cup of new water and for another 3 x. Seems like a lot to do.

Back
Top Bottom