MIA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheFragile

Aquarium Advice Regular
Day 2 with my skirt tetras new tank mates and one of the neons is already gone. I mean GONE. No body or anything.

I'm so sad :(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry to hear this!
I am not all in on the skirt tetras and IMO they could be aggressive to smaller fish.
IMO it is possible they may have ate your neon?
Tetras are tough fish with equally or smaller fish.
I may wrong(but doubt it on this one) but I think they are related to piranha!
Characin family I do believe?
Notice the similar body shape???
The skirts may be fine with bigger more active fish,but again IMO they can be pretty tough.

Oh my goodness! I feel terrible. One tetra was chasing them the first day but then they seemed to leave them alone. I did a lot of reading and everything I read said they were good with neon tetras. They also leave my corydoras alone too.

I don't know what I should do now. The neons are now in a group of 4. Should I get more and see if it was a fluke / stress? Maybe more of them would be more intimidating to the other tetras?

I know I need to get more plants and decorations in there too to break up the tank space. I'm nervous for the rest of my little guys. :(

I'm so sad right now. I brought that poor little guy home to his death. I adore my fish. I spend a lot of time watching them and I have seen no aggression for the last day. I hope the rest of them are safe. I just feel bad that they are in a group of 4 now.

Many links will say they are fine.
Every fish really does have a personality.
Don't blame yourself you did do research which is more then many!
I made my post as a mention.
It is not gold or absolute.
Just a thought.
Often with some fish aggression will really take place when the lights go out?
Not necessarily with tetras but not completely unheard of either.
I hope it was just a fluke.
Get more plants and line of sight breaks so there can be territories and give a couple more neons a go.

Thank you! I'll be heading to the store after work today. Hopefully the remainder are ok until then.

Back
Top Bottom