My Friend Needs A Little Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why wouldn't you just get all females then?

the thing is with liverbearers is that they can store sperm for up to 3 months. So after bringing home females from the pet store you can have them have batches of babies for up to 3 months after at any point.

So he's got his tank that he's cleaning, but he has no idea what size it is. He measured it and says it 20x12.5x10 inches. Does anyone know what gallon size this is or how to figure it out and get close? He thought it was a 15, but I don't wanna get him stocked for a 15 and it turn out to not be a 15.

that's a 10. There are some tanks with standard dimensions but you can also find calculators online too that will allow you to put in each measurement for each size to get the gallons/liters of the tank. It's especially great for odd shaped tanks.

tamtam said:
the thing is with liverbearers is that they can store sperm for up to 3 months. So after bringing home females from the pet store you can have them have batches of babies for up to 3 months after at any point.

So atleast that way you can just remove the fry and know there will be no more babies

Aqadvisor is good for that. You can just put in your measurements and it will give you the us gallons.

That's gonna one day become handy. Now we've learned about an online source that can help when we forget what tank we have. I know it will get used at some point in time. And the new task of the evening would be reburying the airstone my corys unburied. I'll have to get rocks to hold it down. Had a feeling this would happen.

BettaGal said:
I'm making my friend get an account on here since he just thought his brand new pump was the airstone and was about to put it in the tank. He needs help.

Lol good idea :)

It would be a good idea if he could figure out the site. He says that he got the account and activated it, but his posts have to be approved by a moderator. I don't remember this happening to me, but apparently he's having a problem. This should be fun. :facepalm:

So his post is for some reason in the member introduction forum? His question was extremely vague, so I responded with what he's been asking me and why I had him come here himself. I'm sure you all have more experience in this area and can help a whole lot more than I can. Thank you all for helping.

Sorry if someone has mentioned or suggested this already, but in regards to the gravel vac stuff I'd just recommend getting a hand pump type similar to this: Amazon.com: biOrb Cleaner Pump: Pet Supplies. Mine looks exactly like that but I think I got it new for about 3 dollars with free shipping on eBay, so the cost of it certainly won't hurt you. These vacs are perfect for any sort of nano tank under 20 gallons and I use it in my tanks with sand with no problem. All you need to do is stick the bottom end in a bucket on the floor and the vac side into your tank and squeeze the pump a couple of times and you're set. With sand you just need to hold it an inch or two about the substrate and it leaves the sand alone while sucking up all the poop and detritus.

Gravel vacuuming is one of the most logical things to do in regards to fishkeeping. Water changes are generally needed at least 1-2 times a week so you're killing two birds with one stone by vacuuming the substrate too.

They have that vac biorb on clearance at my pets mart. They only have 2 last time I checked, I have the top fin gravel vac, I just replaced my first one. The thing worked for over 6 years, then I accidentally burnt it. I still use it for my QT tank. Good products and most have a lifetime guarantee.

For a little tank just use some waterline. Sand compacts more then gravel and all the waste will sit on top of the sand. You can just take the waterline and put it about an inch from the sand and it will just suck up the waste not sand

That's what I was gonna do. Get the line and not the vacuum part to clean my sand. I'm getting another plant to use up the product of what I miss and hopefully clear up the water some but at least if the water isn't crystal it won't be super deadly.

Back
Top Bottom