Narrowed fish options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vesp,
have you thought about african cichlids? Their natural habitat is warm and with rocks, no plants. They need 8 to 8.5 Ph and harder water and are a very popular type of fish with many in here. OS.

Vesp,
have you thought about african cichlids? Their natural habitat is warm and with rocks, no plants. They need 8 to 8.5 Ph and harder water and are a very popular type of fish with many in here. OS.

What African Cichlids can fit in a 20g?

Plant wise, do they NEED plants? Or could they get by without them? I really like those little bandits but never got them cause of their rep.

They don't need plants. Only community fish really need plants. But sometimes semi-aggressive fish have exceptions. Tiger barbs are not one though.

@ Oldscales well about the cichlids about the only ones I could have are GBR's. I've read I could have 2 in my 20 gal. In fact GBR's are my top choice right now except for the sad premature death issues I hear and I've also read they can be shy without plants. Maybe the premature death won't be an issue where I live because most fish where I live are farm bred here by one company which has sort of the monopoly on the hobby lol.

@ Fishcrazy, that's good to know. I've never had the pleasure of having tiger barbs so right now they are a strong second choice.

@ Oldscales well about the cichlids about the only ones I could have are GBR's. I've read I could have 2 in my 20 gal. In fact GBR's are my top choice right now except for the sad premature death issues I hear and I've also read they can be shy without plants. Maybe the premature death won't be an issue where I live because most fish where I live are farm bred here by one company which has sort of the monopoly on the hobby lol.

@ Fishcrazy, that's good to know. I've never had the pleasure of having tiger barbs so right now they are a strong second choice.

If you do get tiger barbs, get them in groups of at least 4-5. And don't put them with slow moving fish.

Ok so first choice are Tiger barbs. Second choice would be a pair of GBR's, that is after I find out if my local LFS gets them imported from Asia or if they are farm bred here. If they are from Asia then no, I won't go through the heartache of losing them prematurely. This weekend I'll be going to the LFS's and the big chain stores to look for some rock, lighting and maybe a piece of driftwood and then later maybe I'll post a journal of the build.

Ok so first choice are Tiger barbs. Second choice would be a pair of GBR's, that is after I find out if my local LFS gets them imported from Asia or if they are farm bred here. If they are from Asia then no, I won't go through the heartache of losing them prematurely. This weekend I'll be going to the LFS's and the big chain stores to look for some rock, lighting and maybe a piece of driftwood and then later maybe I'll post a journal of the build.

Sweet. Good luck. I would get a driftwood centerpiece as it will pop out and make everything around it seem more "real".

Also, if you need to lower the temps, get a chiller and it'll lower the temp. It's almost like the opposite of a heater.

Also, if you need to lower the temps, get a chiller and it'll lower the temp. It's almost like the opposite of a heater.

Yeah, I may have to invest in one. I checked my betta tank this morning and there it was: 86F, not even the night chill lowers that temp :banghead:. Maybe that's why my betta Orion is so hyper, his metabolism is running wild.

Yeah, I may have to invest in one. I checked my betta tank this morning and there it was: 86F, not even the night chill lowers that temp :banghead:. Maybe that's why my betta Orion is so hyper, his metabolism is running wild.

Lol. Most fish keepers keep there temps lower than 80-81. I wonder if heat makes you hyper. Lol

Lol. Most fish keepers keep there temps lower than 80-81. I wonder if heat makes you hyper. Lol

In fish I've read it accelerates their metabolism and in some cases may shorten lifespans. I've had fish over the years and not noticed any shortened lifespans except in a pair of clown loaches I had, but like I said before if they are farm raised in these conditions for generations they may develop adaptation to the temps. As for me I'm used to it but if it is too much it just makes me cranky and want to drink like a sailor. :ROFLMAO:

...my apologies if there are any underage kids here lol

In fish I understand it accelerates their metabolism and in some cases may shorten lifespans. I've had fish over the years and not noticed any shortened lifespans except in a pair of clown loaches I had. As for me I'm used to it but if it is too much it just makes me cranky and want to drink like a sailor. :ROFLMAO:

...sorry to any underage kids here lol

Lol. Heat will shorten life spans with most fish but there are exceptions. Btw, what fish do you has right now?

Lol. Heat will shorten life spans with most fish but there are exceptions. Btw, what fish do you has right now?

In my apartment just a 5 gal tank with a betta and a snail, and the empty 20 high I'm talking about in this thread and back in my parents a 29 with a school of 10 danios which are of old age and the last survivors of the tank. I'm slowly going to fill up my apt with tanks just like my old room.

In my apartment just a 5 gal tank with a betta and a snail, and the empty 20 high I'm talking about in this thread and back in my parents a 29 with a school of 10 danios which are of old age and the last survivors of the tank. I'm slowly going to fill up my apt with tanks just like my old room.

Try to make it look classy if you do. You don't want to bring your girl home to a pet shop lol

Try to make it look classy if you do. You don't want to bring your girl home to a pet shop lol

Lol, if you call 3 tanks that are less than 55 gallons in total a pet shop, imagine what people with lots of huge tanks scattered around there house. Lol

Back
Top Bottom