Narrowed fish options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vespasianus

Aquarium Advice Regular
So tl;dr I need fishes that could do well in warm water, doesn't need the aquarium planted at all and are apt for a 20 high. Thanks.

EDITED: Made the long story short to attract more readers lol.

I have my 20 gal high I'm about to set up. It's going to have sand as a substrate and mostly rocks, or a big piece of driftwood. Thing is I want this tank to be different from my previous ones and I don't want it planted. To be honest for years I've had planted tanks with vrious levels of success and I'm kinda tired of it, I don't wnat plants on this one. For bottom feeders I have decided on kuhli loaches but I really don't know what fish or fishes to get as a centerpiece because I've been reading a lot of fish profiles and most of them need plants or heavily planted aquariums and this one I really don't want plants at all. I also have the space constraint and the fact that most of the year my water will remain a constant 86F, because of where I live.

So tl;dr I need fishes that could do well in warm water, doesn't need the aquarium planted at all and are apt for a 20 high. Thanks.

86 degrees is pretty hot. The house/apartment stays that temp most of the year! Not many fish actually want a temp that high.

Well the aquarium hobby here is very active. I've also kept fish for some 10 years now, various amounts of species in these kinds of temps. My guess is the fish survive these temps here because most of them are farm bred right here so they may have developed tolerance over generations lol. You can probably guess though, coldwater fish and goldfish are not so popular here in the caribbean lol.

Well the aquarium hobby here is very active. I've also kept fish for some 10 years now, various amounts of species in these kinds of temps. My guess is the fish survive these temps here because most of them are farm bred right here so they may have developed tolerance over generations lol. You can probably guess though, coldwater fish and goldfish are not so popular here in the caribbean lol.

Wow. The Caribbean is definitely HOT! Lol. Yeah I guess if the fish r bread there, they r used to the temps.

Almost all the fish profiles I see here , they require some sort of plants and I really have this urge to do an unplanted tank :( . If you guys got any species in mind let me know, please. What my tank would have is a large piece of driftwood, lot of rocks and sand.

Almost all the fish profiles I see here , they require some sort of plants and I really have this urge to do an unplanted tank :( . If you guys got any species in mind let me know, please. What my tank would have is a large piece of driftwood, lot of rocks and sand.

Do U want it aggressive or community?

Do U want it aggressive or community?

Leaning more towards community. But almost all community fish I've seen require plants of some sort. So far for bottom dwellers I'll definitely have kuhli loaches.

Leaning more towards community. But almost all community fish I've seen require plants of some sort. So far for bottom dwellers I'll definitely have kuhli loaches.

The semi aggressive and full aggressive fish usually don't need plants. Most community do need plants.

If you want just sand and driftwood and with that temp...Im thinking a Discus species only tank! ;)

If Tiger barbs can be counted as semi-aggresive I would love those. But then someone told me they need plants or they'll fight too much.

I wouldn't get discus as they r hard to take care of and r very sensitive to water parameters.

I am wondering why you would ever tell somebody not to get something? As long as the requirements are met and their well being taken care of I don't understand why it would ever be a problem. I am a Discus keeper and enthusiastic about them.

Haha. They r semi-aggressive. They only fight in groups that r smaller than 4.

Plant wise, do they NEED plants? Or could they get by without them? I really like those little bandits but never got them cause of their rep.

I am wondering why you would ever tell somebody not to get something? As long as the requirements are met and their well being taken care of I don't understand why it would ever be a problem. I am a Discus keeper and enthusiastic about them.

Discus r fun fish to keep but I'm just warning him it is harder to keep than some other fish.

Back
Top Bottom