Native tank room mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drew1987

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

I've got a great native set up but just pumpkinseeds and bluegills. I'd love to have something in there that cleans up the bottom like a large pleco or something but they eat everything. they have actually nipped my fingers lol. At one point we put a few large crayfish in there.... bad idea, they ganged up on them, ripped their shells off from behind and at them =0

So, what would go well in there with them? cant be something that gets huge (bullhead probably wont work even if i could find one) and has to be something that wont get eaten. I have considered putting snails in there thinking maybe they move too slow to trigger the sunfish's attention, but dont want to kill a nerite to find out.... also the tank isnt heated. I've considered putting it to 75(f) in winter and 85(f) in summer to see if i can get better colors from them, but they are very happy/healthy and I dont want to mess with it.

there is VERY little support for native tanks

Thank you

Plecos are poop machines. Only add a large common pleco if you want more detritus in the water. Pumpkinseeds are so cool, one day i want to set up a large native tank with perch

Yea it’s an amazing tank! Clown loaches may work if I can find big ones. These fish slurp down 2” rosy reds like nothing. Would hate to see then hammer down loaches!
I’d recommend a native tank to anyone but I’d recommend 120+ I have 55 and it’s tough to keep them “happy” (but we do)

I almost did a 90g native species tank recently. I did some research on pumpkins and Green perch. But I put my bossy Green terror, salvini and convict in there. One day I'm going to do one. I'd like to do a 125g tho

I do not know if you can keep them but I know a native fish that we see in streams around here is the northern hogsucker.

Wow that is exactly what I need!!! Only thing is, I’m almost 34 and started fishing at 3. Wondering creeks and streaks as a kid was commonplace as well. I’ve. Ever seen one of these!

I guess in the spring I’ll try to catch one! If it’s the same size as the sunfish I’m sure they’ll leave it alone.

I’d love to have a 125 for these guys but that’s bot ideal on a first floor with a basement under it. I’d put it in the basement but that’s being finished into a play area/movie theatre. My kids are very well behaved; I don’t worry about breakables and light colored walls/carpet/furniture all over the house but I would like a place for them to be able to get crazy if they want to especially given our 8 months of winter (lol) so I don’t think a 125 in that same space would be wise. I could just see a tonka truck going through the side of it

I REALLY want to find one of these hogs. Doing some research on them

Wow that is exactly what I need!!! Only thing is, I’m almost 34 and started fishing at 3. Wondering creeks and streaks as a kid was commonplace as well. I’ve. Ever seen one of these!

I guess in the spring I’ll try to catch one! If it’s the same size as the sunfish I’m sure they’ll leave it alone.

I’d love to have a 125 for these guys but that’s bot ideal on a first floor with a basement under it. I’d put it in the basement but that’s being finished into a play area/movie theatre. My kids are very well behaved; I don’t worry about breakables and light colored walls/carpet/furniture all over the house but I would like a place for them to be able to get crazy if they want to especially given our 8 months of winter (lol) so I don’t think a 125 in that same space would be wise. I could just see a tonka truck going through the side of it

I REALLY want to find one of these hogs. Doing some research on them
They're much easier to catch if you're using a throw net. We used to catch them all the time when we was fishing for minnows.

Where are you located? I didn’t even know they exist, I am in Rochester New York. Wouldn’t know where to even begin to look for them

Ahhh! Knoxville or Chattanooga? I am trying to move my family to Knoxville but our Business won’t transfer there easily at all so maybe KY or Greenville Spartanburg instead. Not sure yet - got a few years to choose.

That said, as the kid that had to be forced to get out of the creek for meals/sleep, I’d remember those if I saw one, and I never have. Not sure they are here. But I guess I can snag one when I am down your way? 5 gal food grade bucket and an aid stone!?

Ahhh! Knoxville or Chattanooga? I am trying to move my family to Knoxville but our Business won’t transfer there easily at all so maybe KY or Greenville Spartanburg instead. Not sure yet - got a few years to choose.

That said, as the kid that had to be forced to get out of the creek for meals/sleep, I’d remember those if I saw one, and I never have. Not sure they are here. But I guess I can snag one when I am down your way? 5 gal food grade bucket and an aid stone!?

I live about 2 hours East of Knoxville closer to the North Carolina border. I live within an hour of Asheville North Carolina.

There is an awesome aquarium in Chattanooga that I have been to. Lots of native fish species there and if you have not been a highly recommend going.

There also is one place online that I see sell them also if you can't collect one from the wild.
I really want to get some of the blue spot sunfish that is on the site. They supposed to be native to this area also but I have never seen one.

Oh, I didn’t realize there was a full two hours between Knoxville and the western North Carolina border! Guess I’ll experience it soon… We are hoping sometime in late March to go down and check out a few of the towns that may work for us, and since we are so close, I would probably add that aquarium to our list!

I didn’t find that website that sells native fish… Wheels turning about some absolutely massive tank LOL

I did find this local information about these fish: I cannot believe all of the 90s and 2000s, My family couldn’t keep me out of the creeks and lakes yet I never came across one… Crazy!

Attachments

• B1CFE480-D5CD-4E11-80C7-A1CD34C8A20E.jpg
    B1CFE480-D5CD-4E11-80C7-A1CD34C8A20E.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 17
Oh, I didn’t realize there was a full two hours between Knoxville and the western North Carolina border! Guess I’ll experience it soon… We are hoping sometime in late March to go down and check out a few of the towns that may work for us, and since we are so close, I would probably add that aquarium to our list!

I didn’t find that website that sells native fish… Wheels turning about some absolutely massive tank LOL

I did find this local information about these fish: I cannot believe all of the 90s and 2000s, My family couldn’t keep me out of the creeks and lakes yet I never came across one… Crazy!
The website I saw was aquaculturestore.
I have no idea about what they are like though. I've not ordered anything from there yet. I just came across them.

Well shoot given that map, probably makes sense to give it a try if we ever get spring. No temps above freezing in the foreseeable future. That means shipping a fish probably isn’t that great either

The winters here can be ridiculous. We had snow third week may. Blessed fall/early winter, though. No house heat needed until 11/1 then randomly so warm second Tuesday of November, my kids swam in one of the Great Lakes! We’ve had 24” snowfalls around that time in years past.

Anyway a hog sucker is on my list! Though it will be pushing it with this tank. I bet 3 of the sunnies are 3”, 1 is 5” and one is 6”. They are in 55 well-planned gallons each with their own “spot” and it’s worked out quite well. Not sure what I am going to do with they get too big, as a 75 is the largest I can have unless I move them to the basement which I don’t want to do. 75 is obviously barely an improvement. For the time, all is well. 33% weekly water changes with algae cleaning has contributed to their better color and overall hearth. They got and beat a nasty disease at one point. Overall a great tank

Well shoot given that map, probably makes sense to give it a try if we ever get spring. No temps above freezing in the foreseeable future. That means shipping a fish probably isn’t that great either

The winters here can be ridiculous. We had snow third week may. Blessed fall/early winter, though. No house heat needed until 11/1 then randomly so warm second Tuesday of November, my kids swam in one of the Great Lakes! We’ve had 24” snowfalls around that time in years past.

Anyway a hog sucker is on my list! Though it will be pushing it with this tank. I bet 3 of the sunnies are 3”, 1 is 5” and one is 6”. They are in 55 well-planned gallons each with their own “spot” and it’s worked out quite well. Not sure what I am going to do with they get too big, as a 75 is the largest I can have unless I move them to the basement which I don’t want to do. 75 is obviously barely an improvement. For the time, all is well. 33% weekly water changes with algae cleaning has contributed to their better color and overall hearth. They got and beat a nasty disease at one point. Overall a great tank
I had sunfish. Beautiful and can be as mean as cichlids at times lol. Definitely sounds like they have their territories all established.
What temp are you keeping the tank? I found with many native fish a chiller was going to be needed for optimal health.

Yea they are beyond aggressive it’s crazy. Also still working out what to feed them. At first it was worms then Minos. They eat flakes but that’s like a person trying to get full one rice grain at a time. Giving them large pellets now but broken.

They are At room temp so 69°. Summer they’ll be 77° is that too high?

Yea they are beyond aggressive it’s crazy. Also still working out what to feed them. At first it was worms then Minos. They eat flakes but that’s like a person trying to get full one rice grain at a time. Giving them large pellets now but broken.

They are At room temp so 69°. Summer they’ll be 77° is that too high?
77 is a little warm. The sunfish may be ok with that but watch them and consider adding some fans or a chiller is they look to be getting stressed. Frozen water bottles help in a pinch if you have some really hot days.

They will probably be ok but if you have minnows or other creek fish you may have a concern.

Back
Top Bottom