need help with Glass Catfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lovin Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I have a school of 8 Glass Catfish, and they have been staying in the upper mid to top level which is perfect since that is their preferred tank region. They have been quite happy with their setup of plants, water flow and tank mates. There wasn't anything wrong with the tank...everything flowed beautifuly a part from one nippy school of skirt tetras. BUT, my tank is overstocked which I am maintaining by 25% water changes every two days. So, I have been deciding which Tetra schools to return to the LFS to lighten the load.

9 weeks ago I returned 5 of the 9 Skirt Tetras (they were nipping eachother horribly even though more than 6 is suppose to keep them from doing this) and in turn started a Serpae Tetra School. The glass catfish never changed their behavior. Last night I returned the remaining 4 White/Black Skirt Tetras because they were still nippy and spread out around the tank (I like tight schoolers). This morning my glass catfish are at the bottom of the tank. :confused: At feeding time they were normal, but once finished, went back down to the bottom.
Now the bottom of my tank is completely ridiculous with 3 corydoras (going to daughters tank), 7 rummynose, 6 glowlights (which are going to my sons tank), 5 Kuhli Loaches (3 moving to kids tanks), 1 male Kribensis, 1 Plecostomus (going to new home), 6 Serpae Tetras and 8 Glass Catfish.

Of course the Serpae Tetras are not happy with the new arrangement and are chasing the Glass Cats and any other fish in their way. My glass cats are obviously stressed. Help! I love them and don't want them to break out in a disease from stress.

What type of fish is known to calm glass catfish? The skirt tetras must have calmed them, but they really were tearing eachother up and occassional going after all other tank inhabitants (including glass cats!). So I don't want those. Doesn't have to be a school...a single fish that would calm them would be just fine.

:thanks:

It sounds like the tetras scared the glass cats to the top levels of the tank! lol I am not sure what you could do but its wierd!

Loved my Glass Cats! I had to bring mine back because all my community fish picked on them...they are so peaceful and sweet!! I hope you find your anwser!

These are the fish I keep with my glass cats, and my cats are very calm and school tightly.
pearl gourami
peppered corydoras
kribensis
GBR
They seem to do best when they're the only schoolers in the middle region of the tank

Thank you guys. It is weird. Glass cats are mid-top tank schoolers. It's so odd that the hustle/bustle of the skirt tetras didn't make them stay down low. I don't understand why they are "hiding" near the substrate because the tank slowed down. So odd!

@Morgie I am not sure what GBR are. I tried to figure it out, but just am at a loss.

Thank you guys. It is weird. Glass cats are mid-top tank schoolers. It's so odd that the hustle/bustle of the skirt tetras didn't make them stay down low. I don't understand why they are "hiding" near the substrate because the tank slowed down. So odd!

@Morgie I am not sure what GBR are. I tried to figure it out, but just am at a loss.
GBR stands for German Blue Ram. It is a gorgeous, small, peaceful cichlid.

Morgie said:
These are the fish I keep with my glass cats, and my cats are very calm and school tightly.
pearl gourami
peppered corydoras
kribensis
GBR
They seem to do best when they're the only schoolers in the middle region of the tank

Actually when glass cats are more calm they will school more loosely, even venturing out on their own

@Tarpon
Mine school in all levels of the tank, and they explore on their own mainly at night or during feeding time. I guess I should have said they stay together instead of schooling tightly ;)

Oh okay. Yes the German Blue Rams are gorgeous! I am wondering if anyone knows of species for my tank that is a middle/top dweller and white in color?

My glass cats schooled perfectly, facing the current and dipping up and down switching places constantly...like dancing!). Now they are "cuddling" in the center of the tank nearly touching the substrate and facing the "front viewing" glass side. I turned the lights out to help bring them down a notch. It worked. They are swimming around, bot still near the rocks. The white and black skirt tetras looked really nice in the tank. They just were too nippy for me. When a Glass Cat lost 1/2 of it's tail, that was it for me! Skirts gone! I would love to have a fish similar in color and possibly shape...but of course peaceful, compatable with my tank inhabitants. At this point I don't care if it's a loose schooling, tight schooling or a single specimen (doesn't get along with its own kind)
Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
That's interesting. My 6 Serpaes don't bug any body...until now with good reason. The bottom (their turf) is crammed since the glass cats moved down a couple levels in the tank! While the rest of the tank is bare. My Serpaes had horribly shredded fins when I bought them, but now they look great and add good color to the bottom of the tank, complimented by the rummynose.

Back
Top Bottom